Fon 2.0n Hacking

The 2n has moved away from Atheros so won't support Karma and therefore won't support Jasager.

I've also not heard of successful openwrt installs on the 2n yet. I'm sure it has been done as Fon use openwrt as their base system but I haven't looked to hard.

The 2n has moved away from Atheros so won't support Karma and therefore won't support Jasager.

I've also not heard of successful openwrt installs on the 2n yet. I'm sure it has been done as Fon use openwrt as their base system but I haven't looked to hard.

Openwrt is not the problem...it's running a 8.09 with Luci and a linux kernel 2.6.21

the problem is it's running Ralink and not an Atheros...

Jasager uses a special version of "MadWifi" which is only made to support Atheros... (http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/About/MadWifi)

the Ralink drivers are "closed source",binary, statically linked...which explains why the linux kernel is older than eg the Fonera 2.0g (2.6.26.2)

I don't have the impression that the http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page project is at the same height yet as MadWifi. Nor that it supports the Ralink soc yet that is used on the Fonera 2.0n

So I don't think one can replace the ra_wifi,ra_switch,... drivers yet by patched versions?

But you can install all these nice packages on it to give you a feature rich router:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09...rb532/packages/

(except the Kmod_ which are probably compiled for linux kernel 2.6.23 instead of 2.6.21)

the kmod's can be compiled with the Fonosfera SDK.... no need for a 64bit compile machine or knowledge about cross compiling...

Last time I asked no one could recommend an Atheros USB stick. Ubiquity might make one, I'm not sure, but for the price of a Fon2n and USB there has to be some alternative hardware that someone can find.

Ahhh, lame. I was thinking about getting a Fon2.0N because of rapidshare, torrents, and sharing usb harddrives across the network but ill probably wait till the price comes down.. and when someone can figure out a way to hack it :>

the shipping is free at the moment...I don't think the price will drop ... you probably missed the ThanksGiving/Black Friday price as well?

and what do you wanna hack? it has allready open SSH ports... you can compile & change the sourcecode...

you can create "plugins" and offer it to other fonera 2.0g/n users to install them like "applications"

you can create small plugins that run on flash/ram

you can create large plugins that run as an image on eg an usb stick, like the torrent plugin

the only limiting factor is that the Ralink drivers are "binary"... so no hacking of the "wifi"-drivers... but you can still add wireless functionality...

last week Wireless repeater and wan-Lan bridge was added

Sounds like this device will be less useful as a Jasager device, which is a deal breaker since I desired the Fon devices as a Jasager node for general knowledge around wifi security. I figured given that this is a new device the homebrew community is still catching up, and this move from atheros to ralink seems troublesome in that respect as well.

I personally think it would be a wast to put Jasager on the Fon 2.0N.

I would love to get one just for what it does normally.

Sure, it is a vary functional little router.

But, I think the reason this thread was started is because the Fon routers that work with Jasager are no longer for sale. I can't find one anywhere not ebay not amazon. Not Google/shopping

This whole Jasager Project is dead without a router to run it on.