ssh into zipit?

coedshowers

could you use a 50$ zipit as a lil linux ssh box ???

i dont knwo what the power for the zipit is since i havent bought one yet.

i did see the power cord on the website which looks like a standard 5v psu.

so i figured i could splice a usb cord and power it from a pc ( maybe at a diff location than my house )

and just connect it to the wifi and ssh into it for secure browsing?? since darren has one i figured he or someone else with one would see this and tell me if this is possible...

could you use a 50$ zipit as a lil linux ssh box ???

i dont knwo what the power for the zipit is since i havent bought one yet.

i did see the power cord on the website which looks like a standard 5v psu.

so i figured i could splice a usb cord and power it from a pc ( maybe at a diff location than my house )

and just connect it to the wifi and ssh into it for secure browsing?? since darren has one i figured he or someone else with one would see this and tell me if this is possible...

I dont have one yet, but I would suspect since its a 300MHz Arm processer that you could maybe get dropbear on there and set up a little ssh server... it would be slow I would think.. Anyone else?

i was wondering how fast it might be but since its chopped down linux.

if you could start ssh without starting Xwin then well... less resources = faster. this is what i was thinking but without one i dont know. looking to spend the $$ i was going to buy a zipit on a 1u itx rackmount now.. for a ubuntu server so this zipit ssh project is on the back burner.

• 4 weeks later...

You sure can, I just did. I went from stock Zipit to hacked Zipit in an afternoon and got ssh, vlc media player, and a couple other things on there. If you do hack it, I suggest using a 2gig microSD card and only using the 1 gig image. The actual data is exactly the same, so with the 1 gig image I still have tons of room to install stuff. I'm working on using TVersity to stream Hulu to the Zipit. Such a cool little device!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok something weird is happening now.

A couple of weeks ago I was able to install ssh with no problem on rootNexus. Now I try and it doesnt find the packages. I dont know if its just me but could somebody try running

apt-get install ssh

and see if they get the not found message.

EDIT: NEVERMIND! if anyone has this problem just apt-get update and it should be good

Edited by exxon

ssh works great for this device... easier to use than my phone since the keyboard is decent... and my phone is only a touchscreen.

True. but you have to admit sometimes sshing late at night is not the best idea just because of how loud the zipit's keyboard is. I still rather enjoy that sound.