Extra pc fan

thedude

This little project came to me when I just wanted to have a extra fan in my computer. Little dumpster diving and a little shopping gave me a extra pc fan. With buying parts this cost no more that $20 USA dollars. This is what you need:

-a 9volt battery

-mini toggle switch

-9volt battery connector

-old PC fan

-wire cutter/striper

-breadboard

And thats the way uh-hon uh-hon I made it!

http://yfrog.com/e5picture026jpj

Nice work it looks great. I'm not sure exactly what you want to use this for but as my understanding it is well... just an extra pc fan. Just my advice but you could also cut off an old female molex connector from some unused pc power supply and then wire your switch in series. This way you could have the fan plugged into your computer and the switch mounted elsewhere. Now there's no need for the 9v battery and the fan will run at its designed 12v speed. Good luck!!

As rtc443 said, you could replace the 9v battery with a 4 pin molex connector. Red is 5v, Yellow is 12v, black is ground.

You could, however, use your design as a fan for yourself in the summer months, I often rig up a couple of case fans on a 12v power brick to prop on my desk and cool me down when it gets a little too warm, real simple, real quick, real useful.

thats actually a good idea. I just didnt think of using the psu at the time. you guys think we can use some sort of glue to make these pc fans water proof? if so I got another mod in mind lol.

I think you coul probably run those fans underwater without modifying them, but a couple of things to note would be potential rusting and the fact that they're not designed to push water and don't have masses of torque, so they might not perform that well. I wouldn't recommend getting a PC PSU involved, though, there's a lot of juice in one of those, batteries would probably be fine, though.

I want to say if you glue the wires and any exposed internal components it would be "Water proof". Ya the pc fan does not have enough torque but it be somthing to brag about that you made a cheap boat with a pc fan.

Grease in and around the gap with petroleum jelly and it will keep the water from damaging the insides of the fan.

I got only one fan until I can dig up another. So if I put the jelly on it and seal it I should be set then...I will try this and post the result of it >=)

• 2 years later...