wireless card

debianuser

Since the integrated wireless chipset of my laptop is running on band b, I would like to get one that runs on band g coz I ain't get any wireless signal, beside the airport's one :cry:

so i need an upgrade ...

is there any brand that you guys would suggest for laptop?

I will be checking on ebay for good deals...

thx

Now thats a nice wireless card Metatron.

Really you have to decide which chipset you want to go with, so you need to look into linux support. Then you need to find out which cards use that chip. Finally decide which card you like the look of and go and buy it.

I have a SRC Cardbus 802.11a/b/g in my laptop.

It’s $123.95 for the card and $5.95 for the 2dBi whip omni antenna but you can get a different one if you like. It’s the best card I have ever owned.

I have actually been eyeing that card for a very long time. Could you give some more information on what is so great about it? What distances are you getting? Guestimates... I have an ipw2200 in my laptop that goes farther than my Orinoco a/b/g, my Netgear WPN511, my Cisco Aironet 350, and my Linksys old B card. I would really like to get a new card that can beat my ipw2200, but I haven't found one yet.

Well it’s one the most powerful (300mW) and well made cards on the market and it supports a/b and g unlike the other card I use the Reliawave™ 802.11b (370mW).

One of my main reasons I like it, is that it offers me everything I need in a card and gives me the ability to pick up my access point’s (two hacked WRT54G and a Cisco Aironet 1200 Series Access Point with external Antennas) from a huge distance away, my Cisco AP was still working fine at two and a half miles.

It also works great if you want to make you laptop look like a AP and play around with people on airplanes, on the train or in any busy area.

I have no issues getting it to work with any OS.

sounds stupid but is there a mod or a hack to still get signals from wireless on band g using a reciever that only works on band b?

Haven't got a clue what you are on about there.

802.11b and 802.11g are different specifications of the same technology. The main difference is that b has a maximum theoretical speed of 11Mbps where g has 54Mbps.

You can't change a b card to work at g speeds because it is the chip that will needed to be changed. Then the rest of the PCB to work with the chip. Therefore it is a new card by now.

802.11 hardware is backwards compatible to work with slower speeds and older specification.

You can set some wireless access points to only accept connections from specific hardware like g cards. In that case that is the administrators choice and you can't do anything about it.

my Cisco AP was still working fine at two and a half miles.

Two and a half MILES? My god, I want, I WANT!

That would work perfect to get lan access on my boat. Omni-directional on my roof with that puppy and I'll be streaming music from my server as I take my friends wakeboarding.

Don't suppose anyone knows anywhere within the UK (EU otherwise) where one could purchase one of these fine cards?

They take Pay Pal and you can have it shipped to you. I bought it while I was in the US.

Not to dampen your fun but the UK has a 1KM transmitter rule no?

I've never heard of them having rules on the distance. Planty of rules on the power output, frequency and interference. But a rule on distance would be stupid with directional anntennas.

I’m pretty sure the only rule that people would have to think about when making their own hotspot is related to the maximum power output, which I have never heard of anyone checking this for residential setups.

According to Ofcom “The maximum peak output power of the transmitter shall not exceed 1 Watt†which I'm exceeding by a lot.

I’m pretty sure the only rule that people would have to think about when making their own hotspot is related to the maximum power output, which I have never heard of anyone checking this for residential setups.

According to Ofcom “The maximum peak output power of the transmitter shall not exceed 1 Watt†which I exceeding by a lot.

You don't see the people in the tin foil hats walking around checking transmission wattage? Must be only in the states. And they wear these really stupid navy blue jackets with the letters "F B I" on them.

You don't see the people in the tin foil hats walking around checking transmission wattage? Must be only in the states. And they wear these really stupid navy blue jackets with the letters "F B I" on them.

LOL, no. I’ve been running my set up for some time now and I haven’t had anyone knock on my door and complaining about interference so as far as I’m concerned there isn’t an issue with me not complying with that rule.