The Classic OS Collection

moonlit

/me has something of a task ahead of him...

I need you guys to wish me luck... I intend to install every OS I own (including several versions of MacOS, RISCOS and Amiga Workbench) on one computer using a selection of emulators and virtual machines... I'll post screens and info as I progress and I'm hoping it doesn't screw up *again* as I've tried this about 4-5 times already... but I will not cease!

Owch! You better have a Massive Hard Drive. I tried this a while back with no success... (windows 3.1 just doesnt work with a 64bit Processor :p) - Make sure in that collection you install Ubuntu :p

If you have a Intel Processor or a AMD64 you can run MacOsX - Which will be quite cool. But the older versons of Macos will be slow! It will be cool if you could set up a bootloader to boot into every os..

I'm afraid I'm leaving Linux/BSD for the moment because if I were to try and include every distro I would collapse (though possibly not before my hard drive)...

I am going to install: Windows 1.01 -> Windows XP including some betas and service packs along the way, some versions of Mac OSs (including Rhapsody if I can get the thing to work in VMware) and some random others like RISCOS (Acorn Computers), Amiga Workbench and most likely some versions of Atari TOS and some other non-GUI based OSs too depending on how it goes...

/me cracks knuckles, breaks out FDISK and sighs deeply...

Yeah Windows 1.01 -> Windows 3.11 FW would be the leat likely to work but I have tried them and they do work with a little careful planning (like Windows 1.x and possibly 2.x won't work on MSDOS >5.0)...

Talking of such issues, anyone know where I might find the Windows NT3.x 'Wrong CPU' patch?

oOk... Windows NT 4.0 and above are fine on most CPUs regardless of speed however Windows NT 3.51 (and below, I believe) it's picky about what it will install on... anything above a couple 100MHz and it will error, tell you you've got the wrong processor and then promptly die... I'm working on sorting a patch for that as we speak...

VaKo: To get Windows 1.x to work you need to use anything below MSDOS 5.0 to run it on... you need to get hold of the files rather than a disk image because of course VMware won't boot from a 380k floppy... It does work though providing you don't go above MSDOS 5.0... It doesn't seem to mind excessive RAM and spare GHz on the CPU... I guess it can't even *see* the RAM, let alone be worried about it... the CPU I'd have though would've caused it to panic but it seems ok on my 1.73GHz Athlon...