google hosted??

roo-boy

Hey guys hope this is the right section

I came accross this a few weeks back : https://www.google.com/hosted

New beta i believe of domain email hosting by gmail for your selected domain.

Just wondering if any of you guys have signed up and checked it out yet?

For anybody that doesnt understand what i mean, its a service were of u got a domain i.e hak5.org you can setup email address for i think 20 people in ur organization, like admin@hak5.org etc etc.

So with the 2gb inbox gmail offers, i think its a pretty good way of getting professional email addresses, but not have to worry about email hosting.

you know, its just easier to run my own my server, and know that I have the control over storage and everything else.

It is not that difficult to doset it all up.

The problem with that is not everybody has a nice fast connection, however it is better than google doing it for you.

Perhaps what Google should do is sell this service as part of there search server things. You know thoughs rack mount things that say "Google" on the side?

google-mini.jpg

Yes well, If Google equiped thous things with pop3 and smtp server functionality it would be nice. Paticulaly if they also made a sort of wizard thing to make it easy to set up.

The problem with that is not everybody has a nice fast connection, however it is better than google doing it for you.

True, however if you are dealing with a company, they usually have some sort of high speed Internet connection.

i think the aim is for SOHO customers, not big corporate customers.

Companies that dont understand IT and computers and just wants something that works and looks professional........

if you can afford to implement ur own server and have it administrated then im sure this solution isnt for u

Yes, I know that, I use it all the time. The problem is that means that google has unlimited access to all your emails, which is what the problem is with googles buisness email thing. Which is why I said they should build it as a featre in to thoughs server things. That way Google makes money but at the same time they don't have access (unless there are backdoors built into the server, which there shouldn;t be becasue that is evil) to the email.

i've had Google Hosted for a couple of months now and i have to say, it's actually pretty good...

Apart from the fact that google is reading your e-mail and forwarding it to nearly every security agency in the western world?

i've had Google Hosted for a couple of months now and i have to say, it's actually pretty good...

Apart from the fact that google is reading your e-mail and forwarding it to nearly every security agency in the western world?

Meh, they don't need to get it from Google, they have it already.

Only in America ATM wow you have to love your NSA over there LOL (Least I think it was the NSA no?)

Only in America ATM wow you have to love your NSA over there LOL (Least I think it was the NSA no?)

NSA, ATF, FBI, CIA, doesn't matter. They're all dumbasses in the end.

<looks out the window.. waits for the black vans with guys rockin' shotguns to appear>

I don;t have a problem with Google having information about me as long as them having this information benifits me in some way and they arn't going to give it to any one with out just cause (Been paid for this information is not a just cause and is evil!).

i have Gmail for my 3 main email accounts, Google hosted and i use a lot of other Google services...i don't believe google collects your info and sends it to the Govt. but if they do, they ALREADY had all of my info, i don't really care if they have an email account i never use