xbox360 has been hacked

wetelectric

The xbox 360 has been hacked.Yay! They lastest nine months... longer than i thought they would. I know this is probably old but...meh

It's released! Commodore4eva, who already released a modified firmware for the Xbox1 Samsung drive and Toshiba-Samung TS-H943 Xbox 360 drive some time ago, now released a modified firmware of the Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L Xbox360 DVD drive. This release will only work if you have a Hitachi-LG with FW version 47D, FW version 46D will need a different release that will be out later (it patches the onboard FW and does not fully overwrite it, so it's easy to understand you will need a different release for a Hitachi-LG drive with firmware 47D and 46D).

The procedure to flash your drive (Geebee already wrote a great guide (see v23) for it) is easier than with the Toshiba-Samsung drive, because you will just have to update a few banks of your FW flash chip (done fully automagically with a bat file included in the release). This means you will not have to first dump the FW (although we suggest you do this and if you follow the procedures in the Commodore4eva readme below, the xtreme.bat file will auto make a full backup prior flashing. If you want to backup your FW manually ... this guide should help (see v23)), get the key, patch the key on the modified FW and reflash the whole modified w/ key FW to the drive. Instead you can directly partially 'patchflash' the onboard chip with the modified code keeping the rest of the FW (like drive key) untouched.

I'm starting to think that someone could produce a highly-capable gaming machine with absolutly no os and make a ton of money. Imagine: being able to buy a blank 360 and the ability to pick between different os' to install. Linux, MS dashboard, whatever.

In the end it would be like buying a pre-built gaming computer but if 'they' were to standardize an architechure and release the rights to a console, anyone could build a dash for it.

I hope that made sense.

In the end we would have far better and more capable consoles. Basic economics as work - competition in a market creates cheaper and better products.

Probably but I'm not a coder so I'm not sure. I was just thinking about how Nintendo released those 'kits' that you could use to code your own n64 games I was thinking if 'any manufactures name here' could do the same. Produce a console and release the tools necessary to write the os and even games for it. Much like being able to produce your own os and games for a computer, why not be able to do the same for a gaming console?

I probably don't make any sense but I havn't had my coffee yet so give me a break.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm starting to think that someone could produce a highly-capable gaming machine with absolutly no os and make a ton of money. Imagine: being able to buy a blank 360 and the ability to pick between different os' to install. Linux, MS dashboard, whatever.

The PS3 is going to have linux pretty much out of the box which a) probably means itll have the crap hacked out of it so you can run plenty on it and b) is great provided you want to fork out the ridiculous RRP

In the end it would be like buying a pre-built gaming computer but if 'they' were to standardize an architechure and release the rights to a console, anyone could build a dash for it.

I hope that made sense.

In the end we would have far better and more capable consoles. Basic economics as work - competition in a market creates cheaper and better products.

The only problem with this is that they dont actually make any money from the console's all the money is made from those kits and the games. But it would be nice to be able to get these kits for free or for a nice resonable price.

If sony realy want to make the PS3 the device that can do any thing, (as in, it can be a PC and a games console and a media center of sorts) then they have to make it so you can put your own operating systems on it. Since the CPU uses the PowerPC architechture surly it can't be too hard to get MAC OS (The pre-intel version obviusly) running on it.

It uses the Cell proccessor, which is a vastly different beast to ppc. This is also a hurdle for the ps3 game devs as its a biatch to program for. Your not going to get anything other than linux to run on it for awhile (or netBSD but that goes without saying).