Cell Phone Emulator

thedude

I tried google and yahoo search and cant come up with a cell phone emulator to download and install. Does anyone here know of a sertin place they use to get a cell phone emulator?

Im looking so I can get into building Apps for smart phones.

I tried google and yahoo search and cant come up with a cell phone emulator to download and install. Does anyone here know of a sertin place they use to get a cell phone emulator?

Im looking so I can get into building Apps for smart phones.

You'd be better off trying to find a specific phone model that you want an emulator for.

Yes: http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10230

It was a while ago I posted that, so I should add that there is an iPhone emulator, you'll need a machine capable of running OSX (x86, unless you feel like messing about) and the iPhone SDK. Windows Mobile 6.5 images are now available, and there are likely newer Blackberry models available now too. Multiple Android images are also out there, from the original 1.0 prerelease up to the latest 1.5. You can also use QEMU to run Maemo for Nokia phones but I haven't yet tried that. If you grab a copy of the Palm WebOS SDK, it contains a VirtualBox image of WebOS.

94652873.png

WebOS 1.0, Android 1.5, Blackberry 4.7, Windows Mobile 6.5

20480512.png

PalmOS 4, PalmOS 5.4.9, WebOS 1.0

33021689.png

Various BlackberryOS in chronological order

79805526.png

Windows Mobile 5, Windows Mobile 6.1, Windows Mobile 6.5

55623856.png

Android 1.0, Android 1.1, Android 1.5

Yes: http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10230

It was a while ago I posted that, so I should add that there is an iPhone emulator, you'll need a machine capable of running OSX (x86, unless you feel like messing about) and the iPhone SDK. Windows Mobile 6.5 images are now available, and there are likely newer Blackberry models available now too. Multiple Android images are also out there, from the original 1.0 prerelease up to the latest 1.5. You can also use QEMU to run Maemo for Nokia phones but I haven't yet tried that. If you grab a copy of the Palm WebOS SDK, it contains a VirtualBox image of WebOS.

94652873.png

WebOS 1.0, Android 1.5, Blackberry 4.7, Windows Mobile 6.5

20480512.png

PalmOS 4, PalmOS 5.4.9, WebOS 1.0

33021689.png

Various BlackberryOS in chronological order

79805526.png

Windows Mobile 5, Windows Mobile 6.1, Windows Mobile 6.5

55623856.png

Android 1.0, Android 1.1, Android 1.5

Do you own any of these phones, and which OS for the smart phones do you like the best. I am looking to get a new phone, and I keep hearing people say get a blackberry and stay away from the iPhone. I personally don't want an iPhone, so that won't be an option for me anyway, but what gets your highest mark.

I currently have an old faithful Nokia that is heavy, monochrome screened and a battery that lasts a week at a time on one charge, so you can see where I am going with this.

Do’s:

Must do email/web browsing. Must be able to tether to my laptop so that I can use it while working from the road. Must be sturdy. Must have full qwerty keyboard! GPS woudl be nice, but is not a requirement. 3G would also be nice, but again, not a true requirement. Ergonomics/ease of use and comfortable to talk with. I hate ear pieces, so it has to be comfortable to hold as well as talk with.

Don’ts:

Do not need bluetooth, its a security risk to begin with, and I have no intention of shuttleing files to and from devices nor using an ear piece. No flimsy, thin, break if I set on it cell phones. I don’t need a camera, I own a real camera for taking pictures(Nikon D60), I don’t need an MP3 player on my phone or storage for music, but file storage for apps like word/excel/pdf reading and editing is a plus. Don’t need to be able to watch video on it either. - posted on my blog about this topic a few days ago, and am wanting to get something more for work related needs, like having internet access, email, etc. I'll be unemployed come September 26th, so something sturdy, ruggid, and reliable will be my main focus.Im goign to use it mainly to work from home and give to possible employers instead of using my home phone for those things. - http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/blog/200...-phone-and-why/

The only smartphone I've owned is my current phone, an HTC TyTN II, aka Kaiser, Tilt, Stellar. It runs Windows Mobile 6 (and 6.5, if you check out xda-developers) and a fairly well developed (but not perfect) port of Android. I can't compare this to any other smartphone but battery life is half decent (in the range of days, not hours) if I don't hammer it all day long, it has Office on it and browsing's a breeze with Opera Mobile. It has GPS, 3G, wifi, bluetooth and a full hardware keyboard. Can tether via bluetooth, USB or even wifi (especially helpful is WMWifiRouter, turns your device into a 3G wifi router). Solid construction, despite the sliding screen, and the screen itself is clear, reasonably large (though fairly average for a WM device). Touchscreen works well, but could be a touch more sensitive. Has very little onboard storage but that's pretty much the rule with these older WM phones, not the exception, but it does have an SDHC-capable microSD slot which happily takes 8GB and larger cards.

On the downsides, it's quite large and a little heavy, it's an older model which has been superceded. However, that does mean you can pick one up used for a very reasonable price. If you hammer it all day, your battery will be dead in short order, but that's the case with any smartphone. I recommend carrying a spare battery or two if you plan to use heavy GPS and data, especially at the same time, or if you're often travelling, at least a car charger. WM's UI does sort of deserve its criticism but while I agree that it needs work, the OS itself is very powerful and feels quite the opposite to Android on the same device, very raw, ready to be used however you feel like, Android feels a lot more UI-centric and, while I'm sure it's also powerful, feels a little "soft".

But yeah, that's kind of why I put this info up originally, so people could get to play with smartphone OSs and see what they preferred - the hardware's a little different, sure, but you can see that in a store on the shelf or online in spec sheets and such.

The only smartphone I've owned is my current phone, an HTC TyTN II, aka Kaiser, Tilt, Stellar. It runs Windows Mobile 6 (and 6.5, if you check out xda-developers) and a fairly well developed (but not perfect) port of Android. I can't compare this to any other smartphone but battery life is half decent (in the range of days, not hours) if I don't hammer it all day long, it has Office on it and browsing's a breeze with Opera Mobile. It has GPS, 3G, wifi, bluetooth and a full hardware keyboard. Can tether via bluetooth, USB or even wifi (especially helpful is WMWifiRouter, turns your device into a 3G wifi router). Solid construction, despite the sliding screen, and the screen itself is clear, reasonably large (though fairly average for a WM device). Touchscreen works well, but could be a touch more sensitive. Has very little onboard storage but that's pretty much the rule with these older WM phones, not the exception, but it does have an SDHC-capable microSD slot which happily takes 8GB and larger cards.

On the downsides, it's quite large and a little heavy, it's an older model which has been superceded. However, that does mean you can pick one up used for a very reasonable price. If you hammer it all day, your battery will be dead in short order, but that's the case with any smartphone. I recommend carrying a spare battery or two if you plan to use heavy GPS and data, especially at the same time, or if you're often travelling, at least a car charger. WM's UI does sort of deserve its criticism but while I agree that it needs work, the OS itself is very powerful and feels quite the opposite to Android on the same device, very raw, ready to be used however you feel like, Android feels a lot more UI-centric and, while I'm sure it's also powerful, feels a little "soft".

But yeah, that's kind of why I put this info up originally, so people could get to play with smartphone OSs and see what they preferred - the hardware's a little different, sure, but you can see that in a store on the shelf or online in spec sheets and such.

There are so many things these things can do these days, I wish there was somehting that you could just order and pick the options, like on a car. "Power mirrors, check, power windows, check, 6 disc changer, check..." I basically just want email, tethering, internet and document viewing at this point. Thank you for the review.

I'd like to know what people are really carrying these days. So many people either say iPhone or black berry, and I definately don't want the iPhone but didn't want to pigeon hole myself into a black berrry either. Im looking for solid alternatives with rugged design, so if people have alternatives they like better, please share, and why. Cost is also a factor, as I do not want to be paying through the nose for the device itself. $6-700 is a bit high for a new HTC phone in my opinion. Im looking for something around $100-200 range at most.