Analog Synth Project

beaver

I am currently in the process of making a very retro analog synthesiser from a set of plans I got from a 1970 hobby electronics book.

The plan uses no ICs but has some obscure parts, but I think they are replaceable.

The plan calls for paper capacitors, but I couldn't find any lying around in my electronics stuff, so I am using tantalum and oil capacitors instead, would these work fine? They are the right voltage rating and everything.

The other obscure thing in the plans is the values of the capacitors. The ones that I can't find that it calls for are: 0.5uf, 50uf, 0.25uf, 0.12uf, and maybe a 4uf, but I think I may have one. Do any of you think that it would be acceptable to use the nearest substitute? e.g. 0.47uf, 0.22uf, 0.1uf.

If any of you want to look at the plans, I'll post them up for you.

A build diary will go up as soon as I actually get all the parts together. Once I've finished I plan to amend the plans and release a modern version.

• 3 weeks later...
I am currently in the process of making a very retro analog synthesiser from a set of plans I got from a 1970 hobby electronics book.

The plan uses no ICs but has some obscure parts, but I think they are replaceable.

The plan calls for paper capacitors, but I couldn't find any lying around in my electronics stuff, so I am using tantalum and oil capacitors instead, would these work fine? They are the right voltage rating and everything.

The other obscure thing in the plans is the values of the capacitors. The ones that I can't find that it calls for are: 0.5uf, 50uf, 0.25uf, 0.12uf, and maybe a 4uf, but I think I may have one. Do any of you think that it would be acceptable to use the nearest substitute? e.g. 0.47uf, 0.22uf, 0.1uf.

If any of you want to look at the plans, I'll post them up for you.

A build diary will go up as soon as I actually get all the parts together. Once I've finished I plan to amend the plans and release a modern version.

Regarding the capacitor materials, i don't think tantalum would be suitable as some are polarized , the oil capacitors should be alright tho. Capacitors values have a pretty large effect on the synth sound, but i don't think its going to stop it from working, to be safe trying combining caps to get the right values

Keltha right, capacitors are normally used for filters and timings, a small change will effect the sound however the different filters that ive built a small change like that is virtually undetectable. Plus in the real world (as opposed to in theory) components are never the value they say.

Im unsure on the type of capacitor, above all just make sure its not polarised, otherwise your likily to find a sticky puddle of dielectric which is a right pain to clean off. When it explodes/leaks

• 2 weeks later...

I have all the components except the 3 transistors and all the pitch changing resistors. I'm gonna go get the transistors from the local store this weekend.

Also what about when they are polarised, would it be alright to use non-polarised caps?

Also what about when they are polarised, would it be alright to use non-polarised caps?

Thats fine to use non polarised caps for polarised, (Just not the other way arround). -All other things being equal of course (Capacitance and voltage rating) Only problem is main reason for using polarised is they are easyer to produce for large capacitance levels (different physical principal is used, eg electrolytics).

Thats fine to use non polarised caps for polarised, (Just not the other way arround). -All other things being equal of course (Capacitance and voltage rating) Only problem is main reason for using polarised is they are easyer to produce for large capacitance levels (different physical principal is used, eg electrolytics).

Oh, whoops, I misread his post and thought he was asking it the other way around. My bad

• 2 weeks later...