Do LCDs and CRTs mix?

Ethan Hunt

Hey guys, recently I found myself in a situation where I ran a dual monitor setup where the two monitors are right next to each other. One of them is CRT and the other LCD.

I'm wondering, can the electrical/magnetic "radiation" of the CRT monitor harm the LCD in any way? Or perhaps the other way around although that doesn't really make sense to me at all.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think so. I've been running that setup for nearly three years and have had no problem; then again, the LCD I got on clearance with one stuck pixel I haven't managed to fix yet and a bit of problem with brightness/contrast (Or at least I think it's a problem - probably design thing). And CRTs are pretty good at shielding most of the radiation.

Hey guys, recently I found myself in a situation where I ran a dual monitor setup where the two monitors are right next to each other. One of them is CRT and the other LCD.

I'm wondering, can the electrical/magnetic "radiation" of the CRT monitor harm the LCD in any way? Or perhaps the other way around although that doesn't really make sense to me at all.

Thanks in advance!

You'd need a pretty powerful magnet to screw up a lcd panel, think pull the screws out powerful. The lcd shouldn't mess with the crt in any way either.

no problems at all, one of my friends has 1 17inch LCD and 2 17 inch CRT's (all dell's )

no problems at all, but is possible I recommend replacing the CRT's as modern LCD's have good color and contrast and use much less power and generate much less heat

and have less of a kickback when they take in power. when you turn on a CRT while monitoring the line voltage, you will notice a sudden drop in voltage then a spike in voltage and then it levels out, lcd's don't do this