Most Hackable Sprint Phone?

jigglebilly

So my old HTC Mogul died today. I need a new phone and I'm stuck with sprint because my parents still pay for it (if they didnt, I wouldnt pay for a plan myself and they wouldnt ever be able to get a hold of me)

but anyway....I need a new phone and I want to get one that has an active modding community. I havent really been paying attention to phones the last few years. Can you guys help?

I'm looking seriously at the following models:

• Palm Pre
  • Samsung Instinct
  • HTC Touch Pro

I'd probably have to be talked into one of the blackberry style phones that palm makes...but would be interested if you guys know something I don't.

thanks in advance :)

edit: the phone must have Shell access of some sort... I heard rumors of HTC making a linux Sprint phone, but I cant wait any longer.

@jigglebilly Good luck with that phone, hopefully it doesn't fall apart on you.

Thanks, so far it seems ok. You're right though...the keyboard doesnt feel too solid.

I'm hoping there will be an app or hack to get shell access eventually, maybe once the SDK goes public.

It was quite brilliant how easily the phone synced with my google account. Everything, my gmail, calandar, and contacts were all imported.

I've also noticed that it automatically updates my contacts on the phone, when I update them through a browser.

But so far I'm very satisfied with it, I see a lot of potential.

Thanks, so far it seems ok. You're right though...the keyboard doesnt feel too solid.

I'm hoping there will be an app or hack to get shell access eventually, maybe once the SDK goes public.

It was quite brilliant how easily the phone synced with my google account. Everything, my gmail, calandar, and contacts were all imported.

I've also noticed that it automatically updates my contacts on the phone, when I update them through a browser.

But so far I'm very satisfied with it, I see a lot of potential.

My windows mobile phone does the same thing. HTC Kaiser, one of the more "hackable" phones out there. Running windows mobile 6.5 on it at the moment. Every now and then I give Android (look a shell) a shot, but still not enough driver support, though it can make calls.

The Neo FreeRunner is the most hackable as its the most open. It will work on the network.

Have you ever seen one in real life?? I know the guy that's porting a lot of the wireless tools in backtrack to it, but his was broken the last time I saw him. I don't know how well the company is going, they've canceled their second gen phone already.

Have you ever seen one in real life?? I know the guy that's porting a lot of the wireless tools in backtrack to it, but his was broken the last time I saw him. I don't know how well the company is going, they've canceled their second gen phone already.

I have the first gen and secound gen but I don't think its really going anywhere. For the time being you can still get them.

• 1 month later...