Learning PHP

joker5893

Hey guys, just a couple questions. Tomorrow I graduate college, and i'm going to have a lot of time on my hands so I wanted to learn a few new things. I was going to try to pick up PHP, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good sites and or books I should pick up.

this one is for a quik and dirty way

Learn-PHP-in-24-Hours.jpg

ISBN: 0321396855 | 752 pages | May 21, 2007 | PDF | 2.26 MB

Step-by-step instructions for using PHP, a popular Web scripting language. Coverage progresses from first principles to a working knowledge of the PHP programming language, with chapters covering basic features of the language, functions and techniques, and library code. Chapter quizes and exercises are included. An understanding of the Web and of HTML is assumed, and some of the examples are written to work with SQL databases. Although no prior knowledge of programming is required, some experience with a language such as C or Perl is helpful.

have it to for u know reference.

but the one recomend since u have some time left

The Newbies Guide To PHP Programming: Save Time And Money By Learning How To Master The Power of PHP Programming (Paperback)

51nhBSolwyL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

you have got to buy tough.

But ofcourse you can search google for more but i just let you know wich one i bought.

For the very basics:

www.tizag.com

www.w3schools.com

* I started learning from this site: *

www.techtuts.com

Its got as good as it was before but with new management in, its looking promising. My account there is Razor so drop me a line if u need some help there

Then we have www.php.net. Really all you need if you can understand the documenttation. really easy to use.

• 2 weeks later...
I mean, seriously? Can you not do a little research yourself, people write reviews of books and websites.

Just so I am actually being helpful, there is a book by the name of your thread title. It is good.

I'm really tired of getting flamed on these forums. I came to this community for advice because I trust their knowledge. Yes I could of went out and found the answer myself, but i rather get a few pointers and suggestions from the community that I am a part of. For all the others that helped me with some links and suggestions thank you!

I'm really tired of getting flamed on these forums. I came to this community for advice because I trust their knowledge. Yes I could of went out and found the answer myself, but i rather get a few pointers and suggestions from the community that I am a part of. For all the others that helped me with some links and suggestions thank you!

I'm really tired of people putting no effort in before they post. A much better post would have been:

"I've been looking around on amazon etc. and reading the reviews of the books on learning PHP, this one (quantify) seems to get good reviews, does anyone here have any thoughts on it, perhaps something better? Are there any good online resources that would go well in helping me learn php? Thanks"

I think would have taken you seriously as you would have soon that you don't expect everything handed on a plate in front of you before being spooned into your mouth.

don't expect everything handed on a plate

QFE! This can't be repeated enough.

and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good sites and or books I should pick up.

I have lurked these forums for awhile. Today I decide to be another first poster who expresses my dislike for the uptight assholes in the community. This guy is asking for a recommendation from people he trusts to give him an honest answer. Its a pretty simple concept that a few of you don't seem to understand. He doesn't want something on a silver platter he wants some fucking insightful information from his "friends." So go on being the arrogant pricks you are and just skip over post like this, you obviously cant handle giving your opinion on a good book or website.

btw I like "Head First PHP & MySQL" I have a few of the books from Head First all of them have been great.

I have lurked these forums for awhile. Today I decide to be another first poster who expresses my dislike for the uptight assholes in the community. This guy is asking for a recommendation from people he trusts to give him an honest answer. Its a pretty simple concept that a few of you don't seem to understand. He doesn't want something on a silver platter he wants some fucking insightful information from his "friends." So go on being the arrogant pricks you are and just skip over post like this, you obviously cant handle giving your opinion on a good book or website.

btw I like "Head First PHP & MySQL" I have a few of the books from Head First all of them have been great.

Um, fuck off? I not only posted good resources to get started with, I am of the same opinion, you should start looking for yourself, then come here when you are stuck or need help. We do not work for you. You do not pay me, nor do I expect to get paid for helping people, but the general attitude that we somehow are here to serve you, piss the fuck off. Friends, yeah, many of us are, and many of us like to meet new people and make new friends. One way you do that is with respect, not with callign people "arrogant pricks".

And knowing your name is meant to incite riot, you can take your shit elsewhere. We're not here to play your little games.

Well I haven't ever looked up the meaning of purplellama but I did after your post, I was unaware of that meaning. Its actually from an old game, when you got drunk and casted a spell it would fail by summon a purple llama. I clearly wasn't looking for friends or respect with a post like that, I was sticking up for one of your forum members. Clearly joker is capable of using google or amazon and clearly he isn't paying you, as stated he was just looking for advice from a trusted and intelligent community of like minded individuals (which you provided). Not to mention the fact that nothing was directed at you in particular... now please excuse me while I fuck off.

Well I haven't ever looked up the meaning of purplellama but I did after your post, I was unaware of that meaning. Its actually from an old game, when you got drunk and casted a spell it would fail by summon a purple llama. I clearly wasn't looking for friends or respect with a post like that, I was sticking up for one of your forum members. Clearly joker is capable of using google or amazon and clearly he isn't paying you, as stated he was just looking for advice from a trusted and intelligent community of like minded individuals (which you provided). Not to mention the fact that nothing was directed at you in particular... now please excuse me while I fuck off.
In actuality, the PurplLlama I was referring to was a game where one sneaks up behind someone and bitch slaps them across the back of the neck or open hand slaps them across the back of their leg. The intent is to cause pain and to catch the person off gaurd. The opponent then has to try to catch the other person off gaurd doing the same thing shouting Purple Llama while doing so. In a forum setting, one would take it akin to a troll, whos only intent is not to add constructive, respectful criticism, but purposely be the "arrogant prick" by way of pushing some ones buttons.

Here is the thing, you want help, ask for it. But don't expect everyone to be all gungho about doing the research for you when your approach is, "Hey, all you guys seem smart, now do my bidding because I expect all of you to know the answers." The people who do respond, thank them and move on. When you don't get the answer you are looking for, maybe try a different approach. But never expect everyone to just come a running with answers. Especially after you make an insulting comment. Do some of us sound arrogant. Maybe, but understand that there are a few things to remember.

1 - Someone else may have already asked the question. In fact, people ask the SAME damn questions over and over and over. Use the search feature at the top of the forums, but more important, use the almighty one, google.

2 - Be respectfull of the people you are trying to ask questions from. One thing people take offense to is asking a question that is easily answered with 3 seconds on google. Yeah, again, search first, ask questions later. Opinions on specific topics that are not common questions, then make it as detailed as possible, and how and where you were looking and ask for help pointed in the right direction.

3 - Its the Internet. With that said, were not all a bunch of cheery, rosy red Cheek little Internet gnomes. We don't come running with our pixie dust ready to spread joy to all the little question posters. We're not your peers, per say, because we don't know you, and we can't if you start your first post with disrespecting others whom you don't know either. Get off on the right foot with us, and sure, you will see we are more than helpful, but respect goes two ways, and us telling you to look first is not "disrespectful" to you. Asking us and expecting results is in itself disrespectful, wether you realize it or not. We are a community. That say something about us when you use that term. We are not the helpdesk, but often people think of us that way.

I don't speak for the community as a whole, or even for the owners of the site, mods, hak5, etc, but I am aware of the opinions of people who spend a lot of time around here, as many of us share the same common ideals and desires. We want to help, but we are not here to do your bidding.

Thanks Purple, for your insight on the matter. I didn't mean to start a war here in any way. It just seems like some people are all uptight about stuff and have to make a comment pointing it out. Digip your information you provided i appreciate. None of this was directed at you in any way. Yeah I looked around on the net for sites and books to help in my learning of php, but i felt as if there were better ones out there. Thats why i turned to the community so that i wasn't mislead. I did not single out any one and say "Hey (insert name) , where can I go learn php." No, it was just a general inquiry and if you bothered to take the time and read it and make a response that's all i was looking for. I wasn't looking to get flamed about it. If you got something better to do, then do it!

I'll be the first person to admit that I can be harsh in my responses to posts, but if you look through what I have contributed to the forum you'll release that I am a hell of a lot nicer when people take some time to think about, research and write their questions and topics on the forum. When people do this, they improve the quality of the replies and the information on the forum which is better for everyone.

Sadly few people do this, which causes a lot of poor quality of content and makes finding the gems even more difficult. There are a lot of good people on this forum and you can and will learn a lot from them if you want, but given the amount of crap that people have to put up with, here and most other places, we really can get really pissed off about it.

If we didn't want new members then we would not allow people to join, but that is counter productive in my opinion. I'm still of the opinion that the community here is one of the better ones and that the flaming is quite minimal and fair generally.

Your comment below just reminds me of this quote: "For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing." You wouldn't want to live in a country were no one ever told you were wrong, or how to improve, etc. So don't expect it online.

It just seems like some people are all uptight about stuff and have to make a comment pointing it out.