Newbie Jasager Question...

Hello there,

well I got a question concerning Fon & Jasager.

The whole idea of Jasager sounds interesting, and I'm curious to try it out and see it work.

My problem may sound simple to some, but I have troubles wrapping my head around something.

So I'll just explain the concept the way I understand it, and someone correct me if I'm wrong.. here it goes.

(let's assume I've installed everything on the Fon successfully)

users connects -> Jasager/Fon -> my router / DSL connection -> internet.

So the user when unknowingly connecting to Jasager, is getting access to the internet

via Jasager which in turn is getting the Internet via my own Internet connection.

Correct?

Basically, if I understand this right, I plug-in the Fon in my router like any other device.

And if it's running jasager, people connecting to it will have internet access.

..man hope i'm making sense...

If I connect to the jasager web-interface (via wifi), I'll be able to see connected users.

And if I follow Hak5 episode 4x12, if I run ferret & hamster I'll be able to see their sessions.

Am I missing something here? Or am I in left field... :blink:

Other question:

What happens if a user's wireless connection is actually in reach? Will they still connect

to the Jasager instead?

Say, my laptop connects on SSID linksys. If linksys is in range and Jasager is in the area

will my laptop connect to Jasager first? Or my normal wi-fi connection?

Hey, I've been using the pineapple for a little while now so I think I might be able to help you. I haven't connected my pineapple through my router, instead i've been sharing the internet connection from my laptop but the principles should be the same.

Connecting the pineapple like you do will give you two networks, the regular HomeNetwork you've always had and and then the network that is created by Jasager which you want your targets to connect to. As long as you connect your computer to the Jasager network you will be able to access the web interface (using which ever ip address you assigned it to normally 192.168.1.1) and use Hamster and Ferret for your all your session jacking amusement. I think you can set the pineapple to DHCP mode and then access the web interface when connecting to your HomeNetwork as long as you find the ip address of the pineapple. I may be slightly wrong about DHCP mode, but I am sure someone here can correct me.

A computer will usually connect to the strongest available network so if you are trying to catch your neighbors it might prove to be a little difficult. To test mine I just added a preferred network to my computers and assigned it the highest priority so it chose to connect to my pineapple instead of the normal network. The beauty of the pineapple is to use it in a high traffic area, like an airport or a coffee shop where your targets high priority networks aren't around so they get sucked into your connection.

I hope this helps,

~Scott

Thx for the reply. My neighbors would be my intend targets to see this thing in action. I mean I have no real reason to actually use the pineapple... just curiosity really.

Anyway, I'm happy I wasn't totally in the dark on the subject, and odds are plugging it in my router should work as an alternative to sharing my internet connection from my laptop.

Thanks for the heads up on "connect to the strongest available"... I imagine installing a better quality antenna could help.

Thanks for the reply...

Thx for the reply. My neighbors would be my intend targets to see this thing in action. I mean I have no real reason to actually use the pineapple... just curiosity really.

Anyway, I'm happy I wasn't totally in the dark on the subject, and odds are plugging it in my router should work as an alternative to sharing my internet connection from my laptop.

Thanks for the heads up on "connect to the strongest available"... I imagine installing a better quality antenna could help.

Thanks for the reply...

I generally plug my fon directly into my network and configure routing for the wireless network rather than bridging. What this means is that I get targets on 10.1.1./24 network but my internal one is 192.168.0.0/24. If you do this then you need to have your default gateway know to route traffic via the fon to get to the wireless clients otherwise it is going to look at the internal network, see a 192 subnet and reject the 10 subnet. On openwrt it is easy to do with a command something like

route add net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.Fon

That isn't quite right but I can't remember the exact syntax off the top of my head.

Alternatively you can get your fon onto your 192 network and then just bridge that onto the wireless network and give out 192 addresses to your targets. This is easier as you don't have to worry about routing. I prefer the other method as it allows me to know who is who based on IP address.

Once you have this setup you can then play with the default route on the fon so that it directs traffic through a machine running hamster if you want to.

For your other question, iamhaen is correct, most wireless clients will connect to the strongest signal so a neighbour would usually connect to their own, closer, AP than yours. There are ways to stop this, you could do a DOS against the channel they are running their AP on and bring Jasager up on a different channel.

A word of warning, make sure you have your neighbours permission before doing this otherwise you could get in trouble.

Thanks for the info Digi... heck even if I don't get to play with my neighbors I can always just test it in the comfort of my own home.... think the wife may prefer that to me going out with a pineapple under my arm ;)

Gonna order the darn thing tomorrow...

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Well got my Fon yesterday, two of them actually. Me and a co-worker installed openwrt and jasager on it last night at work... Easy as pie... actually, pie* is harder to make. We laughed are heads off when we saw our boss' laptop connect to it. Our boss was also pleased, and asked us to play around with a few more. Gonna order some fon+ next month.

Great project you have there digininja... I'll post (if no one minds) our adventures with the fons. They may get used in our work enviroment.

*was easy using Windows, but took a bit longer from a Mac.

I generally plug my fon directly into my network and configure routing for the wireless network rather than bridging. What this means is that I get targets on 10.1.1./24 network but my internal one is 192.168.0.0/24. If you do this then you need to have your default gateway know to route traffic via the fon to get to the wireless clients otherwise it is going to look at the internal network, see a 192 subnet and reject the 10 subnet. On openwrt it is easy to do with a command something like

route add net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.Fon

That isn't quite right but I can't remember the exact syntax off the top of my head.

Alternatively you can get your fon onto your 192 network and then just bridge that onto the wireless network and give out 192 addresses to your targets. This is easier as you don't have to worry about routing. I prefer the other method as it allows me to know who is who based on IP address.

Once you have this setup you can then play with the default route on the fon so that it directs traffic through a machine running hamster if you want to.

@digininja Do you configure the Fon's wireless AP to not bridge to the Fon's LAN and just route to the default gateway? If I understand this right, with this setup the default gateway could be any machine, or it could be the Fon's WAN port. To clarify your network setup, the Fon is dishing out 10.x.x.x/24 IPs. Your main network is 192.168.x.x/24 and the Fon's WAN has an IP from this range?

That sounds about right. the wifi is on say 10.xxx and my network is 192.xxx. The fon has a route to take 10.x through 192.x and a default gateway which can be any machine on the 192.x network. The important bit that took me a while to get is that the default gateway on the 192.x network needs to know how to route the 10.x traffic back, i.e. through the fon, if not then it sees traffic for a network it doesn't know about and so sends it back out to the internet.

• 2 weeks later...
That sounds about right. the wifi is on say 10.xxx and my network is 192.xxx. The fon has a route to take 10.x through 192.x and a default gateway which can be any machine on the 192.x network. The important bit that took me a while to get is that the default gateway on the 192.x network needs to know how to route the 10.x traffic back, i.e. through the fon, if not then it sees traffic for a network it doesn't know about and so sends it back out to the internet.

could you give a quick explanation of how to go about removing wifi0 from the lan? ie, how this is config?

The two are bridged together by default, to control the bridge use brctl.

To see what is connected

brctl show

to remove an interface

brctl delif br0 ath0

Or something like that!

am i missing something here !

I have gone through the guide to turn my fon into a jasager

i can see my laptop connecting to the fon which it thinks is its local router fine.

the fone nor the dhcp server on the lan is issuing addresses to that device though !

also there seems to be an option missing from dd-wrt dhcp helper option that i'm sure use to be there , and no ip dhcp scheme if i wanted to set it on the fon ?

am i missing something here !

I have gone through the guide to turn my fon into a jasager

i can see my laptop connecting to the fon which it thinks is its local router fine.

the fone nor the dhcp server on the lan is issuing addresses to that device though !

also there seems to be an option missing from dd-wrt dhcp helper option that i'm sure use to be there , and no ip dhcp scheme if i wanted to set it on the fon ?

Have you tried the Piranha firmware with Jasager preinstalled and everything config?

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13013