Nightly Shutdown?

Reflux

Current I do nightly shutdowns buy using shutdown.exe and deploy it though Altiris. Is there a better way to do this? It becomes a problem when a computer does not WOL correctly and when you turn the computer on the shutdown scripts runs and normal users do not have the privilege to disable it. I was thinking of scheduling a task locally on the computer but I just want to see if you guys have any other ideas.

To be 'green' the place I work at has implemented a policy that turns off any computer that isn't logged in and hasn't been active for 30 minuets. If some one stays logged in the computers turns off after 1 hour of inactivity.

hi we wrote a script in AutoIT that shuts down computers in a config file. and also a gui to make the comfig file more friendly with AD. i would give it to you but the guy who wrote it will not give it out (doesnt really believe in free software :)).

another thing you might want to look at is the GUI for shutdown.exe. to access it just start --> run, and its "shutdown -i" i think

hi we wrote a script in AutoIT that shuts down computers in a config file. and also a gui to make the comfig file more friendly with AD. i would give it to you but the guy who wrote it will not give it out (doesnt really believe in free software :)).

another thing you might want to look at is the GUI for shutdown.exe. to access it just start --> run, and its "shutdown -i" i think

The main issue is not really how to shut the computers down but is how to deploy it. Like I said i've been using Altiris Deployment Solution to deploy the shutdown.exe command to all the computers at night. The problem i've been having with that is that everytime when WOL doesn't work the next time a user turns on the computer the shutdown.exe script will run and they don't have the privileges to stop it. I guess ill probably just schedule it as a task on each computer.