To the Hak5 crew. Build a Hackintosh Mac Pro instead of buying one.

mike7seven

After watching the end of the "PHP Twitter Tamagotchi and Roflcon" episode were Matt and Darren were talking about where they were gonna get a Mac Pro from. I thought why not build a Hackintosh Mac Pro instead of buying one. It's a whole lot cheaper and it would make a sweet video segment.

though at first it sounds like a great idea, hak5 is popular, and doing this would definitely put them in the eye of apple, and they dont have the money to go against them, but also the fact that even though the mac hardware may be great at doing what it does on osx, that doesnt mean that ibm hardware can be optimized the same way to run osx. It 'could' work, but then it may not and end up being pointless..... I still think they dont need a mac personally, but that is just me, but at the same time, they know much more about what they are doing than I do so I stand to the side.

I want a mac to have a mac, but that it about it lol. paul is a mac guy and knows what he is doing with it and if it's to help the show I say go for it. I gotta order some stickers..........................................

I went hackintosh on my PC a few months ago and it worked great. 100% of the drivers worked and it was exactly like using the real thing. I have an 8800gts and games ran just as good in OSX as they did in wind0wz.

h3%5kr3w got it right on the nose though. The current methods for getting OSX on your system are not kosher, lol.

After watching the end of the "PHP Twitter Tamagotchi and Roflcon" episode were Matt and Darren were talking about where they were gonna get a Mac Pro from. I thought why not build a Hackintosh Mac Pro instead of buying one. It's a whole lot cheaper and it would make a sweet video segment.

You could not be more wrong!

The Mac Pro is actually one of the best priced dual processor workstations available at the moment, and wipes the floor on price of the likes of Dell and HP.

The simple reason for this is that if you went out and bought two 2.8GHz 1600MHz FSB Quad-core Xeon processors, you would have spent about 75% of the cost of the Mac Pro, for the remaining money, you simply cannot buy a good case, motherboard, powersupply.

Where the Mac Pro becomes expensive is in the buy to order (BTO) options, but these you can upgrade yourself without voiding your warranty. Memory is about 1/3 of what apple want to sell it to you and the same goes for the hard drives.

In fact I recently wrote about it in my blog.

You might want to check your facts when spouting wild allegations.

(As far as I am aware) The Reason for sopecifically needing a Mac Pro instead of a hackintosh, is that they need to use a special card that only works in Mac Pro's.

DAMN IT!!!! Steve Wins Again!!!! BLAAAAHHHH!!!!!

I will defeat you someday steve....

oh and btw, you dont have to to have dual xeon procs to do a hackintosh. Matter of fact, you can do it with an atom processor.

There have also been talk *I cannot say for sure as I havent been exposed to it yet* that running osx on amd athlons and phenoms, and core 2 duo's and quads are actually faster in benchmarks than the xeons.

You could not be more wrong!

The Mac Pro is actually one of the best priced dual processor workstations available at the moment, and wipes the floor on price of the likes of Dell and HP.

The simple reason for this is that if you went out and bought two 2.8GHz 1600MHz FSB Quad-core Xeon processors, you would have spent about 75% of the cost of the Mac Pro, for the remaining money, you simply cannot buy a good case, motherboard, powersupply.

Where the Mac Pro becomes expensive is in the buy to order (BTO) options, but these you can upgrade yourself without voiding your warranty. Memory is about 1/3 of what apple want to sell it to you and the same goes for the hard drives.

In fact I recently wrote about it in my blog.

You might want to check your facts when spouting wild allegations.

I understand the reason why the HAK5 crew need a Mac Pro, however, if there is a portable to be had at a lower price I can find one.