iphone application

spencer_colt

I have an idea for an iphone application kinda like an instant messenger. Where you enable the microphone to voice over the chat kinda like voicing over aim. Could even use aim or yahoo meebo etc. Since when you get an iphone you already have an unlimited data plan but not phone plan. If its possible which I don't see why not. Why not take it a step further and forward your cell to an online number. Which from what I see its free for incoming calls. Then have a program open a messenger session and beep you. Free and unlimited cell phone usage. Let me know what you guys think.

Kinda like the popular VOIP service Skype?

Which I believe is currently available as a iPhone application?

Kinda like the popular VOIP service Skype?

Which I believe is currently available as a iPhone application?

Not really!! Since what I read about on it you have to have a program downloaded on your computer. Then it charges your skype account for the call to your phone which makes it pointless. Why would you want to place a call over skype to your own phone to call someone. If I understood it wrong feel free to explain.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/sk...e-on-iphone.asp

I have an idea for an iphone application kinda like an instant messenger. Where you enable the microphone to voice over the chat kinda like voicing over aim. Could even use aim or yahoo meebo etc. Since when you get an iphone you already have an unlimited data plan but not phone plan. If its possible which I don't see why not. Why not take it a step further and forward your cell to an online number. Which from what I see its free for incoming calls. Then have a program open a messenger session and beep you. Free and unlimited cell phone usage. Let me know what you guys think.

Getting Messenger protocols isn't too difficult, I'd imagine (many other messengers use them). However, getting their voice protocols may be impossible. Even still, voice chat over skype would be the best option as it's the most popular. There is no official skype client, but there is fring, which allows one to make calls to people on their skype buddy list. Fring, however, is awful. There are SIP clients available for the iPhone, but it must be open and on wifi in order to make calls.

Above all else, AT&T won't allow Apple to approve apps that allow calls over 3G data, only wifi. So that wouldn't work. Moreso, one can't get an iPhone without a calling plan unless that person is deaf. Even still, iPhone applications can't run in the background, so one couldn't be "beeped" when someone messages you.

Last, you say "Free and unlimited cell phone usage," wouldn't you be paying for the data plan anyway? While what you suggested is possible, it would require the phone to be jailbroken.

Getting Messenger protocols isn't too difficult, I'd imagine (many other messengers use them). However, getting their voice protocols may be impossible. Even still, voice chat over skype would be the best option as it's the most popular. There is no official skype client, but there is fring, which allows one to make calls to people on their skype buddy list. Fring, however, is awful. There are SIP clients available for the iPhone, but it must be open and on wifi in order to make calls.

Above all else, AT&T won't allow Apple to approve apps that allow calls over 3G data, only wifi. So that wouldn't work. Moreso, one can't get an iPhone without a calling plan unless that person is deaf. Even still, iPhone applications can't run in the background, so one couldn't be "beeped" when someone messages you.

Last, you say "Free and unlimited cell phone usage," wouldn't you be paying for the data plan anyway? While what you suggested is possible, it would require the phone to be jailbroken.

When I said free I meant that after the data plan and your basic phone service would be free.So like 40 bucks for unlimited calling on a big network. Also who cares if the phone is jailbroken this is a hak not a application that I am trying to sell. So the little problem of running an application in the background on a jailbroken phone shouldn't be to hard. I dont have the know how but from what I see from a lot of the haks out there this should be pretty easy. Again thanks for your comments and hope to hear from someone who dont believe in cant.

When I said free I meant that after the data plan and your basic phone service would be free.So like 40 bucks for unlimited calling on a big network. Also who cares if the phone is jailbroken this is a hak not a application that I am trying to sell. So the little problem of running an application in the background on a jailbroken phone shouldn't be to hard. I dont have the know how but from what I see from a lot of the haks out there this should be pretty easy. Again thanks for your comments and hope to hear from someone who dont believe in cant.

I guess we assumed from the tittle of the thread "iphone application" it was going to be a application for the app store. That's why we were saying you can't because on a none jailbroken iphone it CAN'T happen.

It won't be very easy. If you aren't using the SDK and are doing this on your own, then it will require a lot of programming knowledge and knowhow of the iPhone hardware. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but an app like this would already exsist of someone had the resources to create it. It may be in Cydia as we speak.

If you're looking to make this on your own, you won't find much help from me. I like the SDK, and I repect Apple's/AT&T's limitations. You can find plenty of assistance on the iPhone dev team IRC. I believe it's possible, but I certainly couldn't do it; just trying to bring things back to reality.