Change WAN IP

Eviltechie

Depends. Some ISPs are dynamic, some are static.

I just tried, and it didn't change. I've got Earthlink/TWC. I know I could use a proxy or TOR, but I really don't trust them. My web host had a proxy set up, but another user abused it, and he had to take it down. (That other user stopped talking to me after I refused to give him some passwords I cracked.)

Ask your ISP if they provide dynamically assigned IP address's or static ones.

Most ISPs use Dynamic IPs but you'll need to power off your modem (not the router) for up to 20+ mins to get a different IP depending on the ISP's setup. Most of the time you have to pay extra to get a Static IP.

Doesn't take me 20+ minutes. Just a few.

For me(on Comcast) I have a Modem --> Router --> PC's setup. What I do is change the settings under clone mac address in my router, but manually set it to some random hex values, then unplug my modems power and disable my nic. Then I enable the nic and log on to the router. Your IP should now be dropped and waiting for DHCP from the modem(which is looking for your ISP). Plug back in the modem and hit refresh a few times on the router screen for dhcp and once I get an address, it usually changes at that point. Now I have tested this many times, and if I leave my MAC address the same in my router, comcast gives me the same IP address, but if I manually change it, I get assigned a new IP address. Its weird, but it works, because technically, they allow you to surf and connect based on your Modems MAC address, but for whatever reason, thats how my setup works and I can change my IP pretty much any time I want.

That's not weird, that's how most DHCP servers work. They keep a lease database around that lets them refer to older (expired) leases, so they can assign the same IP address that physical address asked for last time. It's a feature.

It's a rather nice feature, really, because while my ISP uses DHCP, since they never drop my IP address is quasi-static. That is, it's been the same for the last 16 months.

I work for an cable ISP and your IP can change(the network is DHCP) but normally if it stays connected to the same physical mac the IP will remain the same. As long as the node isn't very busy I've seen IPs get renewed on modems that have been off for hours !! The best way is to change the MAC in the router (cloning) as the previous poster noted **

on the other side of the coin my personal connection is DSL. All I have to do is power cycle the modem and I'll almost always get a new IP.