Can't access SSH or RedBoot, how do I unbrick my Fon?

I had Jasager installed on my Fon 2100 for a while but decided to try something else so...

I was going through this guide here: http://fonerahacks.com/index.php/Tutorials...lash-Guide.html

I got as far as Step 9, but after a reboot I could no longer access SSH and I can't see the old wifi-AP. I tried connecting directly to the Fon with an ethernet-cable to my computer and try to get some RedBoot-lovin' but when I telnet to the Fon this is all I get:

== Executing boot script in 9.900 seconds - enter ^C to abort

But no matter how many times I hit Ctrl+C I'm not getting in. All that happens is that after a couple of seconds I get disconnected as the Fon boots (I guess). What it boots into I have no idea since I can't see any wifi-APs coming up after it boots.

So I'm guessing my Fon is kinda bricked. So now I'm wondering, what can I do to get it back in working order? I have a copy of the 0.7.1.1 firmware and I could easily build a serial cable if need be. Can anybody help me out? digininja maybe?

I think trying to send ctrl c through telnet doesn't work, I've seen a script somewhere that works through telnet to send the ctrl c.

If you can build a cable it is really worth doing, I use mine most of the time when working on any of the devices, means I can play with settings without worrying about messing it up and locking myself out.

I had Jasager installed on my Fon 2100 for a while but decided to try something else so...

I was going through this guide here: http://fonerahacks.com/index.php/Tutorials...lash-Guide.html

I got as far as Step 9, but after a reboot I could no longer access SSH and I can't see the old wifi-AP. I tried connecting directly to the Fon with an ethernet-cable to my computer and try to get some RedBoot-lovin' but when I telnet to the Fon this is all I get:

== Executing boot script in 9.900 seconds - enter ^C to abort

But no matter how many times I hit Ctrl+C I'm not getting in. All that happens is that after a couple of seconds I get disconnected as the Fon boots (I guess). What it boots into I have no idea since I can't see any wifi-APs coming up after it boots.

So I'm guessing my Fon is kinda bricked. So now I'm wondering, what can I do to get it back in working order? I have a copy of the 0.7.1.1 firmware and I could easily build a serial cable if need be. Can anybody help me out? digininja maybe?

It looks like RedBoot still works, so you can easily recover from it. Just build a serial cable so you can access ssh. With a serial cable, you can watch the boot process on the fon, so when it says "executing boot script" you can cancel it, and start the flashing process over by erasing what's there, and reflashing the images. You won't need to use a LAN cable to access the fon via ssh, but you will still need it connected so you can send the files to it.

You can always just use the ap51 flash utility to flash another firmware on it.

I did this and it worked! So I installed Legend on there and then I did this: http://fonerahacks.com/index.php/Tutorials...ess-Jammer.html

It's supposed to turn the Fon into a wifi jammer. It definitely does some odd stuff to the airwaves but it seems both my EeePC and iBook G4 (running Tiger) are immune. I'm very curious to why it doesn't jam them, but I guess that's a discussion for a whole other thread.

Thanks for the help guys!

• 4 weeks later...