Active botnet?

thecreator

I know on the hak5 zine there was interest in botnets and I'm sure some of the fans of the show may be interested in the topic also. I was just browsing some irc servers and i found irc.geekpanties.com ... when i do a /list i get

#hakr            2       
 #help            1860    Geek Panties Support Channel - Public Network Services NickServ / ChanServ / HostServ / BotServ
 #chess           2       Geek Panties chess community where you can play chess, learn strategies and tactics.
 #girls           88      
 #politics        1717    History Politics and Philosophy
 #warez           1841    Download music, movies, games, software and much more. The world's largest XDCC and FServe channel!
 #ubuntu          1976    Ubuntu's unofficial community and professional support channel.
 #Christian       1913    Social networking community for Christians to meet and connect with friends from school, church, or work.
 #idlerpg         4       
 #geekpanties     11      Geek Panties - Experienceing maria: CS:S server css.geekpanties.com | Users without IDENT will be removed from the channel. [url="http://geekpanties.com/ident"]http://geekpanties.com/ident[/url]
 #CounterStrike   1

seemingly legit rite? when you join #ubuntu (or just do a "/names #ubuntu") for example there are a bunch of "users" with nicknames such as pantie1232, pantie435, ... etc. Smells like bots to me. SO, while this thing is still up maybe someone could poke around.

Maybe its just me who finds botnets fascinating, but if you like this kind of stuff maybe we can try and take this botnet down or take it over for our own evil purposes...

I know on the hak5 zine there was interest in botnets and I'm sure some of the fans of the show may be interested in the topic also. I was just browsin some irc servers and i found irc.geekpanties.com ... when i do a /list i get

#hakr 2

#help 1860 Geek Panties Support Channel - Public Network Services NickServ / ChanServ / HostServ / BotServ

#chess 2 Geek Panties chess community where you can play chess, learn strategies and tactics.

#girls 88

#politics 1717 History Politics and Philosophy

#warez 1841 Download music, movies, games, software and much more. The world's largest XDCC and FServe channel!

#ubuntu 1976 Ubuntu's unofficial community and professional support channel.

#Christian 1913 Social networking community for Christians to meet and connect with friends from school, church, or work.

#idlerpg 4

#geekpanties 11 Geek Panties - Experienceing maria: CS:S server css.geekpanties.com | Users without IDENT will be removed from the channel. http://geekpanties.com/ident

#CounterStrike 1

seemingly legit rite? when you join #ubuntu (or just do a /list) for example there are a bunch of "users" with nicknames such as pantie1232, pantie435, ... etc. Smells like bots to me. SO, while this thing is still up maybe someone could poke around.

Maybe its just me who finds botnets fascinating, but if you like this kind of stuff maybe we can try and take this botnet down or take it over for our own evil purposes...

I have no idea what you're talking about, but your avatar is adorable.

I know on the hak5 zine there was interest in botnets and I'm sure some of the fans of the show may be interested in the topic also. I was just browsing some irc servers and i found irc.geekpanties.com ... when i do a /list i get

#hakr            2       
 #help            1860    Geek Panties Support Channel - Public Network Services NickServ / ChanServ / HostServ / BotServ
 #chess           2       Geek Panties chess community where you can play chess, learn strategies and tactics.
 #girls           88      
 #politics        1717    History Politics and Philosophy
 #warez           1841    Download music, movies, games, software and much more. The world's largest XDCC and FServe channel!
 #ubuntu          1976    Ubuntu's unofficial community and professional support channel.
 #Christian       1913    Social networking community for Christians to meet and connect with friends from school, church, or work.
 #idlerpg         4       
 #geekpanties     11      Geek Panties - Experienceing maria: CS:S server css.geekpanties.com | Users without IDENT will be removed from the channel. [url="http://geekpanties.com/ident"]http://geekpanties.com/ident[/url]
 #CounterStrike   1

seemingly legit rite? when you join #ubuntu (or just do a "/names #ubuntu") for example there are a bunch of "users" with nicknames such as pantie1232, pantie435, ... etc. Smells like bots to me. SO, while this thing is still up maybe someone could poke around.

ummm... that would be illegal...

Hey, I didnt do anything. I dont actually have the technical skills to do a botnet "takeover". I wish I did! If I did have those skills I wouldnt post what I found in the forums for other people to try to take it over too.

You sir, fail

I would like to do that stuff that Steve @ grc did.

Everytime i join the #ubuntu channel (for example) i get kicked+banned. Like automatically. So i think they are doing a "VERSION" check and if client-x dosnt have a particular version reply then they get kickbanned. So i tried /ctcp evilbot VERSION on one of the bots but they dont reply to my version request so i have no clue. Once i can figure out what criteria they are using to ban i can get around it...then just chill in the channel and log.

I know with some bot programs you have to message the bot ".login my_password" before you can use it. Maybe if i could "look" like a bot and get the bot password then i could really abuse that stuff. But if i cant even get in the channel i wount be able to do that.

I would like to do that stuff that Steve @ grc did.

Everytime i join the #ubuntu channel (for example) i get kicked+banned. Like automatically. So i think they are doing a "VERSION" check and if client-x dosnt have a particular version reply then they get kickbanned. So i tried /ctcp evilbot VERSION on one of the bots but they dont reply to my version request so i have no clue. Once i can figure out what criteria they are using to ban i can get around it...then just chill in the channel and log.

I know with some bot programs you have to message the bot ".login my_password" before you can use it. Maybe if i could "look" like a bot and get the bot password then i could really abuse that stuff. But if i cant even get in the channel i wount be able to do that.

They may just ban certain ISP's or clients, but have you tried changing your nick to something similar to theirs, like pantie12345 or something like that. The channel many require a registered nick, even if its a bot channel they took over or created.

edit: If you block ident requests, they ban you

Joining chat room...

Started talking in geekpanties on Wednesday 1/7/2009 10:46:21 AM

Room topic is: Geek Panties - Experienceing maria: CS:S server css.geekpanties.com | Users without IDENT will be removed from the channel. http://geekpanties.com/ident

Room moderation is on

I was able to enter the channel with no issues.

My university blocks all incoming connection (because of NAT) so I guess that is the problem.

Not necessarily NAT. Allot of Universities assign internet route-able IP address to each machine. Then use firewalls and normal routers.

thecreater: Please register your name on the IRC Geek Panties network so that I am able to manage an exemption for your IDENT kick/ban issue.

Please don’t change your nick to or use the nick panties*, you will be permanently removed and banned from the server as stated in the /rules “Do not impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a Geek Panties official, forum leader, guide or host, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.”

If you have any questions about the users or services on my network you can contact me on the IRC server irc.geekpantes.com; user name: maria. You may also find me on msn maria@geekpanties.com.

Good luck with whatever you guys were trying to accomplish. - maria/nerdette

• 2 weeks later...
thecreater: Please register your name on the IRC Geek Panties network so that I am able to manage an exemption for your IDENT kick/ban issue.

Please don’t change your nick to or use the nick panties*, you will be permanently removed and banned from the server as stated in the /rules “Do not impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a Geek Panties official, forum leader, guide or host, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.”

If you have any questions about the users or services on my network you can contact me on the IRC server irc.geekpantes.com; user name: maria. You may also find me on msn maria@geekpanties.com.

Good luck with whatever you guys were trying to accomplish. - maria/nerdette

The only rules in the internet are the RFC's (and not even hehe)