Greece

wetelectric

And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done.
- Dr Evil, Austin Powers

In all seriousness though, its a shame that its come to this where the riots to some extent dishonor the life of the young man who was shot. I think its one thing to protest, another to go on looting and violent rampages. Think of the kids parents and family and what they muse be going through and to then have to deal with this. The cop was found guilty, so obviously some restitution is being made, but no amount of rioting will bring this kid back to life. It's almost like the people exploited the kids death as a means to prolong their lawlessness and rioting, like they only needed some excuse to act in such a way, which there is no excuse for. They have enough problems as it is and this doesn't solve a damn thing. It only puts other innocent peoples life in jeopordy in the process and someone is bound to get in the crossfire who didn't deserve it, just the same as the kid who was shot.

Its not just about the kid who got shot, he was merely the straw that broke the camels back. This is about a disaffected youth who want jobs, social justice and less violent police. Its little wonder that given the times, a lot of the buildings that were attacked were banks. If we'd seen this level of opposition to the UK or USA goverments and the invasion of Iraq things would be very different now.

If we'd seen this level of opposition to the UK or USA goverments and the invasion of Iraq things would be very different now.

I'm not sure how people acting in this manner in the UK and USA change the war or bring it closer to an end. Bush pretty much drug us and the rest of the people who sided with him into the biggest debacle of our lifetime, and people around the world, inclduing the UK and USA have protested, just not in a violent riot such as Greece. There is enough senseless acts of violence that people know gets nothing accomplished. We had the Rodney King beating riots here years ago and I think people know from that what kinds of mistakes were made and how not to handle such a situation. Not to say an outbreak like that can't happen again. I just think that after 9/11 and the mess we're having in Iraq, people for the most part kind of know that adding fuel to the fire only makes things worse and is not what our troops need in the way of support to get them home. Electing new leaders and leading protests that can be active without riots seems like maybe they will bring about change more than aimlessly looting and demolishing everything in site. Bush is almost out of here, so I am hopefull we will see some big changes in the coming year, both at home and abroad.

I'm not sure how people acting in this manner in the UK and USA change the war or bring it closer to an end. Bush pretty much drug us and the rest of the people who sided with him into the biggest debacle of our lifetime, and people around the world, inclduing the UK and USA have protested, just not in a violent riot such as Greece. There is enough senseless acts of violence that people know gets nothing accomplished. We had the Rodney King beating riots here years ago and I think people know from that what kinds of mistakes were made and how not to handle such a situation. Not to say an outbreak like that can't happen again. I just think that after 9/11 and the mess we're having in Iraq, people for the most part kind of know that adding fuel to the fire only makes things worse and is not what our troops need in the way of support to get them home. Electing new leaders and leading protests that can be active without riots seems like maybe they will bring about change more than aimlessly looting and demolishing everything in site. Bush is almost out of here, so I am hopefull we will see some big changes in the coming year, both at home and abroad.

Its a lot harder to pretend the entire nation is behind you if your capitol city is on fire, the police have all but run out of tear gas and a cottage industry has sprung up selling rocks to the rioters...

It's odd that we never see riots like this is Canada or the US. I guess the governments, are actually doing something right.

The picture with the mannequins burning is really creepy.

I wouldn't say the US has never seen a riot like this. Remember Rodney King, as mentioned before? I will only speak for the US, you cannot say that the US government is doing something right because its citizens are not rioting. More people in the US should be rioting if they had actually payed attention to what has happened over the last 8 years.

Well rioting doesn't really do anything, now all those people's business that have been burnt down, now there's a bunch of people that are out of jobs and money, people's car's are destroyed and now they can't get to work, or take there kids places, really rioting is just pointless.

You can get stuff with out rioting, recently here in Canada they where going to change the new drivers law so that anyone under 19 can only have 1 passenger under 19 at a time, people where pissed but they didn't go start a riot instead they started petitions, started facebook groups and guess what? They dropped the law, no one got hurt, no one lost money, no one's out of a job.

Well rioting doesn't really do anything, now all those people's business that have been burnt down, now there's a bunch of people that are out of jobs and money, people's car's are destroyed and now they can't get to work, or take there kids places, really rioting is just pointless.

You can get stuff with out rioting, recently here in Canada they where going to change the new drivers law so that anyone under 19 can only have 1 passenger under 19 at a time, people where pissed but they didn't go start a riot instead they started petitions, started facebook groups and guess what? They dropped the law, no one got hurt, no one lost money, no one's out of a job.

oooh, establishment, establishment; you always know what's best for me