Did I brick my fon?

Heiko

Just got my fon router today and immediately started to follow the guide here, http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9908

When I got to step 10, I noticed that the two files that I transferred over from step 8 weren't there. So I connected back to the fon, but I only transfered out.hex over and not the openwrt-ar531x-2.4-vmlinux-CAMICIA.lzma.

Then I made it to step 11 and started to flash (I assume), however after waiting 30 or 40 mins I shut the program down. After turning off and on my Fon, I noticed I can no longer connect to it through wifi.

Did I just brick the fon or am I missing something?

The flies are just tmp i believe that they dont stay there. Don't worry i think you are ok after step 11 just keep going if you can connect the fon though the Ethernet you are ok. By the why what firmware version did you get. I am just a noob so i bet some else would have a better answer

Do a "telnet 192.168.1.254 9000" without the quotes. If that works then shutdown some background programs Like firewalls (ie Zone Alarm) and any anti virus software. the flash utility will sometimes be blocked by these programs with out notification. Strip Windows xp to the bare minimum if you have to, but start with said programs and try the flash utility again. When it starts you will see something like "transfering <file> to root...."

Don't worry 9 times out of 10 its a firewall or an anti virus. If you don't see any indication of a file transfer in the flash utility, it just has not been flashed yet.

Just got my fon router today and immediately started to follow the guide here, http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9908

When I got to step 10, I noticed that the two files that I transferred over from step 8 weren't there. So I connected back to the fon, but I only transfered out.hex over and not the openwrt-ar531x-2.4-vmlinux-CAMICIA.lzma.

Then I made it to step 11 and started to flash (I assume), however after waiting 30 or 40 mins I shut the program down. After turning off and on my Fon, I noticed I can no longer connect to it through wifi.

Did I just brick the fon or am I missing something?

The wireless will be down now until you manually restart it after you finish the upgrade, don't worry about it as the wired network should still work.

Carry on with the process and hopefully it will finish ok.

Ahh, thanks guys! I managed to get through all the steps and connected to Jasager just fine!

edit: and just to mention, I first tried setting up the fon with a virtual Windows XP running on my mac. I don't think it works so well! So I used my Vista main box and everything worked fine.