Ultralight aircraft

audey

I was just wondering if anyone in the comunity is into flying and has ever built thier own ultralight (on the cheap).

I want to build one that can fly fairly high, but involves minimal time and cost (lol), so has anyone attempted this before?

i would think if your going to fly...high then falling distance it better be built by someone whos had years of experince just to be safe you dont something like "oops forgot to install the landing gear" when your about 400ft in the air id hire an avation engeener to oversee the project

@will-wtf: model or large size? I've built a model and they're damn fun.

@m0u53: An ultralight on the cheap does not have retractable landing gear, usually it would have 2-3 stationary wheels. also I would prob just invest in a parachute.

I can just tell that this is one of the things I'm going to plan out completely and then never do. but I want to anyway.

I've had the bug of flight for quite a while. While I don't have the money for it now, when the economy turns I'd really like to get one of these: http://www.x-airlsa.com/X-Air/X-Air_LS.html

Light Sport Aircraft looks a lot more fun than Ultralights. Namely because you can fly higher, for longer, and with a passenger. It's a new designation since 2006 iirc that only requires 20 hours to obtain a license. afaik Ultralights don't require a license at all but lessons are highly recommended.

When I'm not watching aviation documentaries on netflix or making the show (read: all the time) I have a lot of fun with my quad display setup in Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Anyone else play? I'm not 100% on the VATSIM side of things yet but I can hold my own with ATC.

--Darren

November Zero Zero Bravo

@will-wtf: model or large size? I've built a model and they're damn fun.

@m0u53: An ultralight on the cheap does not have retractable landing gear, usually it would have 2-3 stationary wheels. also I would prob just invest in a parachute.

I can just tell that this is one of the things I'm going to plan out completely and then never do. but I want to anyway.

model size using the little packs you get with the fuel and stuff, went pretty high!

@Darren: that Light sport one looks like a lot of fun, but the price. Also I'm worried about anything that needs certification because my eyesight isn't exactly great... Once I have a job I'm definitely going to look into that. My computer is made from junk so no Flight sim X for me, I have to get by on Flight sim 2000 w/out joystick, but I'm going to buy one soon.

The only thing I want to do more than fly is be an astronaut, that would be the awesomest.

@will-wtf: So did you make one with liquid/gas fuel? I've only made the ones where you buy solid fuel engines.

I saw this website ages ago where they put a small camera that took a picture every second or so into a model, I cant remember the site but it had some pretty good shots.

@Darren: that Light sport one looks like a lot of fun, but the price. Also I'm worried about anything that needs certification because my eyesight isn't exactly great... Once I have a job I'm definitely going to look into that. My computer is made from junk so no Flight sim X for me, I have to get by on Flight sim 2000 w/out joystick, but I'm going to buy one soon.

The only thing I want to do more than fly is be an astronaut, that would be the awesomest.

@will-wtf: So did you make one with liquid/gas fuel? I've only made the ones where you buy solid fuel engines.

I saw this website ages ago where they put a small camera that took a picture every second or so into a model, I cant remember the site but it had some pretty good shots.

With the RAF at college, that was awesome and we did zero weigtlessness (parabolic curve), barrel roll, loop the loops.. I was allowed to do those! :lol: :lol: :lol:

audey i used gunpowder packs.. i'm trying to find a video of it atm.

I've had the bug of flight for quite a while. While I don't have the money for it now, when the economy turns I'd really like to get one of these: http://www.x-airlsa.com/X-Air/X-Air_LS.html

Light Sport Aircraft looks a lot more fun than Ultralights. Namely because you can fly higher, for longer, and with a passenger. It's a new designation since 2006 iirc that only requires 20 hours to obtain a license. afaik Ultralights don't require a license at all but lessons are highly recommended.

When I'm not watching aviation documentaries on netflix or making the show (read: all the time) I have a lot of fun with my quad display setup in Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Anyone else play? I'm not 100% on the VATSIM side of things yet but I can hold my own with ATC.

--Darren

November Zero Zero Bravo

flight simulator x is a lot of fun when you mod the planes a bit so you can make them more controllable. nothing like doing cool stunts with a 747

with out modding the planes, many of the planes have crappy controls. it is nearly impossible to do a barrel roll with a 747 and forget about doing a backflip where you pull up. and once you hit 90 degrees, reduce the thrust from the engines then when you aim down go full thrust again

With the RAF at college, that was awesome and we did zero weigtlessness (parabolic curve), barrel roll, loop the loops.. I was allowed to do those! :lol: :lol: :lol:

audey i used gunpowder packs.. i'm trying to find a video of it atm.

Wait, were you in a plane and did the weightlessness, barrel roll and loops? no way unfair.

nm about the video I know what you mean.