What are you doing with your FON

As I just got my Fon today and installed Jasager, I was wondering what those who have already done this are doing with their modified Fons.

I assume the Fon can be left not connected to a computer (for web interface) and collect information in logs, that can then be viewed at a later date to see what activity has occured.

For the record I am not asking people to say what BlackHat stuff they have been upto particularly, I dont want to start another Jasager is evil thread.

Thanks in advance.

Mine is housed in a plastic pineapple with a battery pack. I connect to it over wifi. I setup the AP "Pineapple" with WPA. The WPA Supplicant is required to setup WPA btw. At the moment I'm using it to make sure the users on my network at work are secured against this type of attack. It's fun at the airport too. Clients associate but since I haven't setup the default gateway correctly they aren't getting internet access through me.

What I plan to do is setup the Jasager so that when I connect to it over WiFi on my laptop, and connect my laptop to the internet via tethererd cell phone, I can specify my laptop as the default gateway and run wireshark in the middle.

Sadly I haven't had a chance to play around with that yet since I've been so busy with editing. This weekly stuff is really time consuming...

That and I'm looking to benchmark radio power output while connected to different forms of battery power (and AC power as a constant). I'll have some pretty graphs up when I get a moment of free time.

As I just got my Fon today and installed Jasager, I was wondering what those who have already done this are doing with their modified Fons.

I assume the Fon can be left not connected to a computer (for web interface) and collect information in logs, that can then be viewed at a later date to see what activity has occured.

For the record I am not asking people to say what BlackHat stuff they have been upto particularly, I dont want to start another Jasager is evil thread.

Thanks in advance.

I installed freewlan on all of them and i am currently monitoring them connections on myplace/fon/traffic/heartbeat

http://status.fonera.be/

currently working on a "webservice" to log also connects/disconnects from people ...currently only email is working

Also got a gargoyle router installation on a fonera+

and a mesh testbed(fonera/fonera+) on open-mesh.com

on fonerahacks.com there has been a recent new post on how to perform wephacking/wpa hacking with a fonera

for the rest I installed hundreds of foneras in city libraries, Bar's and other peoples homes who liked to offer secure wifi to their customers... While the USA is only recently starting to add limitations on internet usage (250gb/month?) they have had these limits all allong in Belgium (currently going from 10gbyte/month to 20gbyte/month)... so capping the "wifi for friends" is a must ... browsing the net...okay... but "leeching" NO

For demonstration purposes only...

Enter an environment where there is a lot of wireless network activity. On your person are two devices:

- The Fon Bomb - Deauth all clients within range

- Der Jasager (Listen to the pronunciation here)

Launch the Fon Bomb for approximately 5 minutes. Then power off the Fon Bomb.

Quickly power on Der Jasager and let the lil guy do his thing.

Enjoy.

-- Thank you Robin Wood, Darren, Mubix, and the whole technolust community --

Just for clarification, what should be the criteria for someone connecting to the Jasager Fon device?

Now I have sorted my subnet issues, I have set it up in my lab and got it connected to the Internet.

Obviously if you look for wireless devices you will see OpenWRT and you can connect to it.

So now I turn on another laptop that normally connects to, lets say WORKAP. Obviously not being at work the AP isnt here, so I assumed the Jasager would say "yeah, WORKAP thats me" and connect me.

However that doesnt seem to be happening. Perhaps this doesnt work to well in a lab environment and need to be tested in a populated wireless area with multiple clients?

I am just interested in getting a fuller understanding of the functional requirements here.

Cheers.

Ifr you have karma turned on then it should reply to any AP you request so you should get WORKAP to connect to. If you aren't then there is a problem somewhere. Check dmesg to make sure you have fully patched drivers (look for digininja) and check karma is on in the interface (off by default).

next option, ssh in, set an ssid by doing

iwconfig ath0 essid Fred

That should then start beaconing. See if you can see/connect to that.

This will tell you if it is Jasager/Karma that is at fault or something else.