what to do with new Server toys......

Nophix

So, we upgraded our servers at work, and I took home some new toys... I've got 3 Compaq DL-380's, running dual PIII 800's, and 3gb RAM each, as well as being loaded with 5 18.2gb SCSI drives a piece. I even got the Netshelter rack with them!

Now, add to that the 5 Cisco 1900 switches I already have(24 port), and the question is... what kind of cool stuff can I do now?

I really have no idea what I want to do with this. It was all pulled from a working environment. they were all DBAN'd before release, but I have the option of running my own copies of Win server 2003, or running a Linux Server distro.

Should I build game servers out of these? I could run VMWARE easily, we did that at work on these. Web servers maybe?

AHHHH!!! I hate getting good deals when I have no plans or ideas!

So, we upgraded our servers at work, and I took home some new toys... I've got 3 Compaq DL-380's, running dual PIII 800's, and 3gb RAM each, as well as being loaded with 5 18.2gb SCSI drives a piece. I even got the Netshelter rack with them!

Heh, I've got a DL-320 (I think that's what it called. The 1U version) with dual P3 1.3 GHz, 2GB RAM and 2 x 18 GB 15.000 RPM SCSI drives that I'm not using too. I need a datacenter somewhere to put it up, if I ever find a use for it, as it's simply too noisy to have running at home.

These servers are probably best a web or database servers, as their storage is fast but there isn't much of it. Gameservers are also an option, I have brought a rack server to a LAN party before to run BF 2 gameservers from it :)

I have a partially finished basement, and the whole rack will reside down there, so noise is no concern when they are on.

I tried getting my wife to let me put it in the bedroom, but that was a no-go.....

I tried getting my wife to let me put it in the bedroom, but that was a no-go.....
Gotta love that. We have all out pc's in our bedroom(since its an apartment) and it gets hella hot and noisy in here. 5 workstations and 4 monitors plus a laptop, but not all in use at teh same time. Right now just 2 desktops and 3 monitors are in use, but it still gets wicked hot in here during heavy use. Our machines run 24/7.

In our old place we had it all in the bedroom, with about 1/4 of the room we have now. Needless to say, we had no closet.

Now, we have a ton of room, and she's weeded me down to my desk only. Of course, I have 2 laptops for work, my primary personal laptop, my audio reciever, a workstation for Ubuntu Studio, and my lcd monitor. most of it runs all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, add to that the 5 Cisco 1900 switches I already have(24 port), and the question is... what kind of cool stuff can I do now?

I really have no idea what I want to do with this. It was all pulled from a working environment. they were all DBAN'd before release, but I have the option of running my own copies of Win server 2003, or running a Linux Server distro.

Should I build game servers out of these? I could run VMWARE easily, we did that at work on these. Web servers maybe?

AHHHH!!! I hate getting good deals when I have no plans or ideas!

You could sell them and buy yourself a pretty pimp laptop or gaming rig, or find a hosting company outside the US that will host your servers. I have a few servers in Amsterdam that I use as file repo or if I need another hop on the IP trail. The cool thing its strictly anonymous, I send them a money order every month to keep power and network alive.

I don't recommend running them at home, your power costs will go through the roof.