Clearing the RUNAS domain\username dropdown

redearl

Good Day:

In Windows, When you right click on a shortcut/object, and select RunAs, then select "Run as the following user", there is a drop down box that allows you to put your domain\username in there.

My current list is full of OLD information and I need to clear it out so I can populate it with the current information.

I cannot seem to find where/how this is done.

Good Day:

In Windows, When you right click on a shortcut/object, and select RunAs, then select "Run as the following user", there is a drop down box that allows you to put your domain\username in there.

My current list is full of OLD information and I need to clear it out so I can populate it with the current information.

For users no longer on the system, have you tried removing the accounts from the machine? (Make sure you backup everything for those acounts first)

As far as I know, the RunAs shows users for the accounts local to the machine/domain. If the accounts still exist, I think they show up in the RunAs no matter what. Even if you can clean it by way of Registry, what happens when a user logs on to the domain? Does it put it back in the RunAs list? I couldn't really find anything on google or the Microsoft site that goes into detail about this mechanism.

The only thing I saw was a way to disable the GUI interface using a regkey so people can not pull up RunAs, but it would still work from the CLI.

The only other option seems to be using Group Policy to block RunAs for certain users so they can not execute RunAs.exe at all, but this does not change the names in the list of the GUI app itself for authorized users, just restricts certain users from being able to use it at all.

Note: If you have Active Directory in your network you could use GPO to prevent users from using RunAs, by either stopping the Secondary Logon service at a GPO level, or by using Software Restrictions at the GPO level and blocking the RunAs.exe file.
- http://www.petri.co.il/disable_runas.htm

Good Day:

this is more of a workaround than solution to the problem..... generally i run the runas command from command line or start>run runas bla bla bla. then you would not need to worry about old information as you would supply the credentials every time.