Computer Wont boot

silentknight329

1. ok so the computer boots normally then gets to the stage where it says ntfs missing

2. so i downloaded this program to fix it on disc.. so everytime that goes into effect it goes to another stage which says windows did not shutdown properly boot normally, safe mode and all that jazz... but the 30 second countdown is frozen.. so is the computer.. i'm lost and i cant loose the data on that hd

thankx in advance

Does a Ubuntu live disk boot? If so, the computer is fine. Preferably you want to backup all the stuff you don't want to loose to an external hard disk or the like then reinstall. Alternatively you can do a repair install which will leave the current file structure in tact but will reinstall Windows. Another option might be to try SpinRite, such a problem could be cause by bad sectors on the hard disk.

No matter which option you choose, you really should backup the data you don't want to loose.

Sounds like you need to get the chkdisk program to run and fix whatever error your having.

Like Sparda said, backup everything first, before you mess with it.

You could try mounting the HDD and installing grub to boot windows for you and bypass the windows boot loader all together, but if windows wasnt' shut down properly, then you may need to run the windows "chkdsk" program to fix whatever conflicts its having. If you can get windows to a command prompt, try(I think) "chkdsk /r"

The disk checking utility is spelled chkdsk.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/#/

You could try mounting the HDD and installing grub to boot windows for you and bypass the windows boot loader all together

GRUB does not bypass the Windows boot loader. GRUB actually installs on to the MBR and then chainloads the Windows boot loader which is located on the Windows partition. The boot loader that Windows installs in the MBR does nothing more than instruct the BIOS to 'jump' to the boot loader in the Windows partition, it really is that rubbish. The only other feature it supports is to use the TPM to store BitLocker keys, GRUB does actually brake BitLocker because of this.

GRUB does not bypass the Windows boot loader. GRUB actually installs on to the MBR and then chainloads the Windows boot loader which is located on the Windows partition. The boot loader that Windows installs in the MBR does nothing more than instruct the BIOS to 'jump' to the boot loader in the Windows partition, it really is that rubbish. The only other feature it supports is to use the TPM to store BitLocker keys, GRUB does actually brake BitLocker because of this.

Then I stand corrected...my bad.