Driver Trouble

Snowman

I recently installed vista x86 and I finally got my WUSB54GC wireless adaptor working. I'm using the rt73.sys file for my driver but this is where I get confused. When I go to install it on the "add hardware" option in the control panel, I find it I get it to install the driver and use it and everything and then I get the error that it installed but the device cannot start. But when I go to the Device Manager, if I just go to "scan for hardware changes" it finds the driver and automatically installs it?!? I just want to know a way to do this manualy and what am I doing wrong (why do I get that error?)

I did download it directly from the site. I downloaded both the vista and XP drivers and ironically, the XP driver is the only one that works but I still don't get why it only works with "scan for hardware changes"

Did you plug in the device first, or install the drivers first. Usually you install the drivers first, then plug in the device and windows does the rest unless they are not plug and play compatible, which means you have to add them manually after you hook up the device. Vista is just buggy to begin with, so things don't always work the same as they did in XP.

Yah. I know that Vista sucks but i'm thinking about goin over to linux but my problem with that is there is barely any mainstream application support (also, I'd have to learn an entirely different operating system.) If you have any cool sites to help me with linux that would be cool but back on track... I had it plugged in the entire time so...

P.S. - Where do you find drivers for linux? or does a wrapper cover close to all if not all of them?

If you can't install wifi drivers in Windows, you probably don't have a hope in hell of installing them in Linux. Sorry, but if Vista is "buggy" then Linux is like a disfigured, aborted baby.

Anyway, with that said, the reason you're having the problem you are is because you're trying to force-feed it the wrong driver. When you tell it to go do things itself (Scan for hardware changes) it'll go out and pull the appropriate driver. If you're trying to tell it to use an incompatible driver then said driver isn't going to be able to make any sense of the wifi stick because it's (for lack of a better analogy) talking another language.

So for future reference, check Device Manager and see what the device is listed as while it's working. Store this information somewhere and if you should need to download another driver for it then you'll know which you need.

Edit: You mention wrappers for drivers in Linux. You need the wrapper (ndiswrapper) when there's no working Linux driver and you need to use a Windows driver. Does this seem logical to you? You tried to escape Windows because your wifi wasn't working and you switch to Linux which has no idea what the hell your wifi card is and needs a Windows driver to make it work? Thought not.

Under linux, the command "lspci" will return information about the hardware installed on the box, driver support or not. You can use this information to google the correct drivers.

As for Linux hardware support, there really isn't a huge demand for linux drivers (relative to the demand for vista drivers for instance). Once the ROI for supporting linux is there, things will improve. Also, you have to look at the patent system, as that is also holding back linux support.