RF card reader

nbr

so ... i'm working on a project that requires me to write a program to read the student number from a magnetic card and send it to the mysql...

i wrote the program in vb6 it was told to me that the card reader was like a keyboard so the program that i wrote its a keylogger that reads only the numbers sent to the computer by the device and the connects to mysql and do the job...so the problem is that the magnetic card reader doesn't act like the keyboard and does not send the number...at least i've tried to make something show up by reading cards but the devide bips and nothing happen...does somebody know how to use it or can point me to the right direction i'm running out of time and i really need this working  :???:

(sorry the bad english)

thanks in advance

an RF card (chip) reader and a magnetic card reader are two different things that work in different ways.

correct me if i'm wrong the rf card has a circuit in it that activates when in range of the card reader by a magnetic field...right?

and the magnetic one is the one with the black bar..right?

an RF card (chip) reader and a magnetic card reader are two different things that work in different ways.

correct me if i'm wrong the rf card has a circuit in it that activates when in range of the card reader by a magnetic field...right?

and the magnetic one is the one with the black bar..right?

Basically, yeah. If it has no black bar on it, it's probably not magnetic. If it does and you swipe it, then it probably is.

I'd recommend changing it to magnetic strips. Much harder to pull the data off a card without it's owner when the attacker needs physical access.

yeah...i know...that was the old system but they changed it...i'm just a student making a voting system for the school...

I'd recommend changing it to magnetic strips. Much harder to pull the data off a card without it's owner when the attacker needs physical access.

yeah...i know...that was the old system but they changed it...i'm just a student making a voting system for the school...

Take a lesson from Diebold. The lesson being that electronic voting systems are a pretty bad idea if people are allowed to use them.

Combining RFID and electronic voting is a disaster of an idea (before it's even been designed). If you are forced to use this system as per the course work, you need to document how insecure RFID is and how it should not be used for any thing where security is paramount. Might want to also mention that the current US 'government standard' electronic voting machines where a disaster and that the paper based system is fine unless the hardware the software runs on is redesigned to actually be secure, I'm thinking along the lines of alarm triggers, software with hardware triggers that detects potential tampering and is able to physically disable the machine (without destroying currently stored data).

Take a lesson from Diebold. The lesson being that electronic voting systems are a pretty bad idea if people are allowed to use them.

Combining RFID and electronic voting is a disaster of an idea (before it's even been designed). If you are forced to use this system as per the course work, you need to document how insecure RFID is and how it should not be used for any thing where security is paramount. Might want to also mention that the current US 'government standard' electronic voting machines where a disaster and that the paper based system is fine unless the hardware the software runs on is redesigned to actually be secure, I'm thinking along the lines of alarm triggers, software with hardware triggers that detects potential tampering and is able to physically disable the machine (without destroying currently stored data).

i know that is a pontential disaster... for the project's approval i'm counting on the fotos and names that appear everywhere on a group of persons that will check the identity and for being a small school (compared to what i think of the US schools) e should have like 500 students that can vote...and every card has an image printed by the school and really in that school nobody would try to do that tons of work studding the system...

the teacher that will give my grade it's a math teacher so it's no big deal...i just need to present the system working has i tell that it would be working...then i get my A+ and maybe when i get time to do it i will try to get a better system at least one width less found flaws...

PS:i realized that i may have the question in the wrong place ( i think it should be on the application & codding) and i'm sry for the bad english