CDDB (ID3 tagging)/Album Art error

MaxRabbit

I have problems with tagging; my newly ripped songs have no tags other than artist and song name-can you please help!!

I have the following error in my log file:

INFO Thread-2 servlet.ProcessAction - looking up ID3 tag info 4 [trapt|Headstrong]
INFO Thread-2 util.CddbLookUp - looking up data: SongInfo{album='null', artist='Trapt', title='Headstrong', trackNumber='null', year='null', lable='null', genre='null', station='null'}
INFO Thread-2 util.CddbLookUp - submitting : Trapt+Headstrong
WARN Thread-2 servlet.ProcessAction - failed lookup -- no biggy -- cause: null
WARN Thread-2 servlet.ProcessAction - failed lookup -- no biggy -- description: com.meterware.httpunit.WebForm$NoSuchParameterException: No parameter named 'q' is defined in the form
WARN Thread-2 servlet.ProcessAction - failed lookup -- no biggy -- message: No parameter named 'q' is defined in the form
WARN Thread-2 servlet.ProcessAction - unable to save img - albumImgLoc: null songInfo: SongInfo{album='null', artist='Trapt', title='Headstrong', trackNumber='null', year='null', lable='null', genre='null', station='null'}
INFO Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - adding ID3 tags: SongInfo{album='null', artist='Trapt', title='Headstrong', trackNumber='null', year='null', lable='null', genre='null', station='null'}
DEBUG Thread-2 servlet.ProcessAction - cruise on - dealing with file manually

I've confirmed this is not my router's fault-it won't work when plugged directly into the modem, either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A workaround is Picard (http://musicbrainz.org/). For people who doesn't know Picard. It is a software that automatically identifies and labels your mp3s. It fixes album/track#, as well as cover art (request Cover Art Downloader plugin). Picard fixed around 80% percent of my songs, not perfect but better than nothing.

Again, when can we have CDDB/TAGs working in jar? :-)

i wish to complain too, im sick of seeing grey squares on my ipod classic

we need something simple someone could code it if the info was on a usable database *cough* hak5 project idea*cough* .... it would say the song name and artist and then run it aginst the list and update the id3 tags. This would not be hard at all just idk if it would jump to folder where they would be thrown aginst the database and then when the update of the file was successful it would toss it back into the mp3 listed folder.... we need to keep things simple or they get WAY too complicated. I guess for now the best thing is as simple as a program to find and update the tags. We do what we can here at hak5 but not all of us are rocket scientists.

we need something simple someone could code it if the info was on a usable database I guess for now the best thing is as simple as a program to find and update the tags. We do what we can here at hak5 but not all of us are rocket scientists.

I couldn't agree more :)

• 1 month later...

I think an interesting extension to this type of project would be to take off where Shazam and Tunatic for the PC. However these songs use a microphone to listen to a song, send a snippit to the servers and return a tag for the sample.

It would be cool if a program could be developed to play a snippit of the MP3 through some virtual sound device, send the snippit to the service, auto return the tag, and update the MP3 file. This way the mistakes you get with miss identification that happens purely by the file name of artist and track would be minimized quite a bit.

Answered my own question/idea while doing some poking around after posting... Musicbrainz.org does this with a few multi-platform clients and the musicbrainz backend is MusicIP. However, what I am using now to clean up my few thousand albums is WinAMP 5.5 with its auto-tagging feature powered by the gracenote music database backend. Gracenote is also the backend it appears for Shazam and is being used by MySpace and a few other sites to identify and stop copyrighted material from being uploaded. So far WinAMP has audio fingerprinted all my missing tagged MP3s perfectly.

Using MediaMonkey on top of the cleaned MP3s to embedded the missing album art. Even though most of my albums were purchased from iTunes, Apple doesn't embedded the album art.

Just my two cents... I would love to see this type of project!

So far WinAMP has audio fingerprinted all my missing tagged MP3s perfectly.

So Winamp cleaned 'em up for you automatically?

Using MediaMonkey on top of the cleaned MP3s to embedded the missing album art. Even though most of my albums were purchased from iTunes, Apple doesn't embedded the album art.

MediaMonkey is great. I like cleaning up album art with it as well.

• 6 months later...