Antri Virus

digip

I love this site. Most of you probably know about it, but wanted to share anyway. I think I even found it becasue of a Mubix post or article, but can't remember where I was when I ran across the site.

http://www.virustotal.com/

Upload any file and it will scan it using MULTIPLE virus scanners at the same time.

For the paranoid like me, it's better to have a few other opinions on the file in question...

I was just telling Darren about this last night.  I think for the next live show i'm going to go over it, and maybe talk about how you'd go about building your own.

A cool way to do it would be to use amavis and sendmail. I have used this on gateways and it is sweet as it will do mutiple AV filters.

• 2 weeks later...

We actually have a Win 2003 server install with a whole bunch of the same antivirus software running on it that virustotal has, inhouse.  We have some scripts setup to where you can upload malicious files and the server scans it and outputs the identification result.  There are some things in place which reset the machine back to a known-to-be-clean baseline after each scan.

We actually have a Win 2003 server install with a whole bunch of the same antivirus software running on it that virustotal has, inhouse.  We have some scripts setup to where you can upload malicious files and the server scans it and outputs the identification result.  There are some things in place which reset the machine back to a known-to-be-clean baseline after each scan.

Make it a VM and Snapshot it to keep a clean copy that you can always revert to as well, while being able to move the VM to any server as one file.(zipped or rared folder of the VM files)

I personally think that corporate  lans should start using somehting like this. At work, we have McAffee, and it has let 2 viruses on our systems over the 10 years I worked here. If they had something like this in place on the email system, they would probably never have had any issues. Aside from the fact that I hate McAffee products.