Strange Data

digip

Take a look at the text file below. Can anyone tell me what this data is?

I would paste it in, but it does not show up in

code

, so, I will post a link to it in a text file.

The reason I am asking is, I block certain sites with a hosts file as well as block it in my browser. I use Opera to turn off Javascript, etc, and this file poped up from one of the sites I have blocked in my hosts file block list. The page it was from was imdb.com and it was from an iframe advertisement. I was surprised to get the popup, so I saved it as a text file and opened it with a hex editor, but still, have no idea what type of file or data is in it. Its not an image file(thought it might have been an advertisement) and it is only 4k is size.

http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/optn=1.txt

gedit has not been able to detect the character coding.

Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.

Select a character coding from the menu and try again.

Edit -

áölà/áY²ÿí³?{??^«?`)Â?¼J¤½ïÇú[óÞµ?KDM?5ÐX¶õ# Eí Ú?÷¹Ä?¶Q/Ð7÷é?RÔhao^_ÙkÝ:ÓQíÍu¯°

It will not paste in correctly to this. As you saw. With Xemacs -

53yw09v.png

Yeah. I can see it in a hex editor, but I have no idea what it is. I think its a partial file of some sort but most likely it's just garbage data. I wish I had wireshark open when I got it so I could have seen what was coming across the wire when it happened. Maybe I can try to reporduce it.

I know it was from imdb.com because the file popup said it was from servedby.advertising.com and when I viewed the source of the page for theimdb site I was on, it was listed in there as an iframe coming from servedby.advertising.com.

Now, I block servedby.advertising.com in my hosts file, so they should never have been able to send me anything. It should have timed out and never loaded the iframe data. That's when I got the pop-up asking me to save the file, which I thought was strange since I have servedby.advertising.com blocked. I did however have 127.0.0.1 listed as a trused site in Opera, since I test some things in apache and php, so maybe it somehow slipped in that way, but still, it should not have been able to get through at all. If anything, it should think the file was from my pc(as in 127.0.0.1) and not servedby.advertising.com since the host file would redirect all traffic for servedby.advertising.com to localhost. It should have timed out and given me a load error, not a file.

Yeah. I can see it in a hex editor, but I have no idea what it is. I think its a partial file of some sort but most likely it's just garbage data. I wish I had wireshark open when I got it so I could have seen what was coming across the wire when it happened. Maybe I can try to reporduce it.

I know it was from imdb.com because the file popup said it was from servedby.advertising.com and when I viewed the source of the page for theimdb site I was on, it was listed in there as an iframe coming from servedby.advertising.com.

Now, I block servedby.advertising.com in my hosts file, so they should never have been able to send me anything. It should have timed out and never loaded the iframe data. That's when I got the pop-up asking me to save the file, which I thought was strange since I have servedby.advertising.com blocked. I did however have 127.0.0.1 listed as a trused site in Opera, since I test some things in apache and php, so maybe it somehow slipped in that way, but still, it should not have been able to get through at all. If anything, it should think the file was from my pc(as in 127.0.0.1) and not servedby.advertising.com since the host file would redirect all traffic for servedby.advertising.com to localhost. It should have timed out and given me a load error, not a file.

It may have been encoded Jscript... this is common for ads.

I'm sorry, but what is that pic supposed to be? It's what Vista shows in Notepad when opeing the file I posted?