help>router/modem

Jamro

hay guys i need you help plz oh god plz! i have a p 660 hw modem/router my ISP forced me to upgrade to and it is blocking all P2P traffic (this means no Azureus:'() and its an ass and dont have any port fowarding and wont let me mess with the nat does anyone know ofANY way to get this peace of icon_censored.gif to work plz i beg of you all knowing god of hak.5 .... or other forum deities *bows in reverence*

They forced you?

ADSL or Cable?

Who is this "p" company? (sorry to be obtuse but we need specifics if we're going to help you).

How sure are you that everything is locked down?

And have you called tech support to bitch (a tip is to always do your homework so they can't bullshit you). And if they made you pay for it, claim it doesn't work and return it.

Have you considered just biting the bullet and buying a better router? The ones ISP's give out are piles of shite 99% of the time, Linksys WRT54G's work nicely i've found.

also:

start -> run -> cmd

ipconfig

look for the default gateway IP address, then enter that address into a web browser

try "admin" as the user name and password

They forced you?

ADSL or Cable?

Who is this "p" company? (sorry to be obtuse but we need specifics if we're going to help you).

How sure are you that everything is locked down?

And have you called tech support to bitch (a tip is to always do your homework so they can't bullshit you). And if they made you pay for it, claim it doesn't work and return it.

Have you considered just biting the bullet and buying a better router? The ones ISP's give out are piles of shite 99% of the time, Linksys WRT54G's work nicely i've found.

Agreed. And from what he's saying, it sounds like he has a combined modem/router, which is definitely not good. Ask your ISP if you can get a stand alone modem from them, and go get a better router from somewhere else (DLink or Linksys).

anyhoo... you have a ZyXEL 660HW, which despite earlyer insinuations of shiteness, will probally do just fine.

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers...routerindex.htm

Select the model closest to your one, and follow the instructions on the above site.

If its locked out, try admin/admin or call tech support. If the refuse the router codes, ask to speak to a *technical* manager and politely explain issue to them (need to open some ports for your xbox or whatever, don't mention P2P). If they still say no, cancel and get a better ISP.

My sisten has a ZyXEL (don't know the type. The one you get standard with Tiscali here in .nl). It's a _real_ POS. No administration options AT ALL, unless they're running on a funky port or something. It's basically a proxy with a DHCP server on your side of the network. When I tried to get a Windows 98 machine to work with it (don't ask) the internet was slow as hell (like, 5 kb/s on a 250kb/s line). Once Windows XP could be used again performance improved, but my sister can't use P2P programs like eMule and stuff. Bittorrent works fine though.

no worries mates a bud of mine had a 3rd party software for it that made it much better ...(turned it into a modem and got rid of the modem part) now i use my old router and Azureus couldnt be happer (ADSL btw guys thought i had sead that musta sliped my mind)