Cisco VPN Client

G-Stress

Hey guys, something I saw extremely interesting today. I was in a customer's home working on their PC and loved the way their internet connection was setup. They had a cable ISP going through a router (linksys) I believe, but what was interesting is they had no internet access unless they logged onto a vpn through their company using Cisco VPN Client.

I believe I have seen or heard something about a setup like this before and asked about it, but didn't get much feedback. What I'm curious about is, is this something that can be easily setup? I assume it would be I believe I have the Cisco VPN Client at least one version from along time ago, just never really messed with it.

I understand how to setup a vpn, but what I don't really get is how to, well... my goal is say im at a public place, an open hotspot or something like that, but I wanna connect through a vpn or some other method back to my internet connection at home and access the internet that way. That's where i'm stuck and not sure how to go about it.

Not sure what to google for either :?

I believe the last post where I posted something like this was in a thread called "Route traffic through vpn" or something like that. Anyway GREATLY appreciated any advice, even if it's just key words to google for to lead me in the right direction :D

YES SIR :D I haven't fully read to much of it yet but did see the big black bold letters (Route all client traffice in cluding Web Traffic through VPN) which sounds like what im looking for :) Thanks man.

Then my only thing is when using the internet from another location through my home connection this way... Cain & Abel... I know my VPN session login should still be sniffable via arp poisoning, but im not as concerned with that as once im connected and if I were to access forums, other web sites with credentials would cain still be able to arp poison all my logins being that im using my own home connection? This was my main reason for this setup besides the knowledge.

Thanks again man.

this just sounds a bit of a waste of BW. your at hotspot A connect to your home network B with VPN so you can go to website C. I think its going to be a bit laggy. :( if your worried about getting sniffed at your local Starbucks run your own cain and able and see who your neighbors are. Might be a good way to get around a schools/works firewall, and can you port forward to the laptop over VPN?

You're only paranoid if you think they're after you. I know they're out to get me. ;)

@ SomeoneElse

Excellent, I downloaded and installed OpenVPN, but haven't had time to configure it all... looks interesting.

@ unasoto

Ehhh... yea it could be a bit laggy especially since i'd be wireless, but as far as what I saw in this customer's home, (they were going straight to their modem also) it wasn't any different then a normal connection.

I'll test it out and see how it goes and the best part is the experience and knowledge:)

@ SomeoneElse

Excellent, I downloaded and installed OpenVPN, but haven't had time to configure it all... looks interesting.

@ unasoto

Ehhh... yea it could be a bit laggy especially since i'd be wireless, but as far as what I saw in this customer's home, (they were going straight to their modem also) it wasn't any different then a normal connection.

I'll test it out and see how it goes and the best part is the experience and knowledge:)

if you're using high speed it will be worth the slight speed decrease (as long as your not torrenting) and OpenVPN can a bitch to setup for someone new to it so find a good tutorial if you haven't done anything like it before.