help me make sense of this

phonebooth

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how they have this one stirng in the setup.exe file(I extracted it from th einstaller with 7zip and am lookign through things now)

resond.jpg

I mean, what are the odds? And no, I didn't put that there, it was in the file.

Also, what is it we are wanting to do with this program again? What is it you need done or to be able to when running it??

I love how they have this one stirng in the setup.exe file(I extracted it from th einstaller with 7zip and am lookign through things now)

resond.jpg

I mean, what are the odds? And no, I didn't put that there, it was in the file.

Also, what is it we are wanting to do with this program again? What is it you need done or to be able to when running it??

Just be able to browse take the lock off your browser thats pretty much it..

I think you need to modify the taskhook and update programs, as well as the main lockdown program.

Gonna play with it in a VM for a while and see what its doing. As I recall, Shaun already got around the lock, maybe PM him for what he did. I think he used a debugger to modify it not to load certain things so you could still use the mouse, explore your desktop, etc.

I think you need to modify the taskhook and update programs, as well as the main lockdown program.

Gonna play with it in a VM for a while and see what its doing. As I recall, Sean already got around the lock, maybe PM him for what he did. I think he used a debugger to modify it not to load certain things so you could still use the mouse, explore your desktop, etc.

Sounds good i just pm shan so lets see if he replys ..

I just need that file he hosted a year ago cuz the link is dead to download it ..

This program is so retarted if you ask me

Sounds good i just pm shan so lets see if he replys ..

I just need that file he hosted a year ago cuz the link is dead to download it ..

This program is so retarted if you ask me

I can get it to work, but I use ZonaAlarm to make it not be able to communicate with SMSS.exe. Im still trying to find it in the exe where it calls it, but so far I hexed the TaskHook.dll and LockDown.exe to not call the disable mouse, disable paste, etc. When I use ZoneAlarm to block smss.exe, I can get to the login prompt, and I enter the ID of 876544206 and it takes me to the resondus site within the LockDown program. I can then still use my desktop and other browsers, etc, and the prgram is running. I don't have a student id, so thats as far as I got so far. If you want, I can send upload the hexed dll and exe file, but you would need something like ZoneAlarm to block its access to SMSS, otherwise, it locks the program on top of all others and you can get to the desktop.

I can get it to work, but I use ZonaAlarm to make it not be able to communicate with SMSS.exe. Im still trying to find it in the exe where it calls it, but so far I hexed the TaskHook.dll and LockDown.exe to not call the disable mouse, disable paste, etc. When I use ZoneAlarm to block smss.exe, I can get to the login prompt, and I enter the ID of 876544206 and it takes me to the resondus site within the LockDown program. I can then still use my desktop and other browsers, etc, and the prgram is running. I don't have a student id, so thats as far as I got so far. If you want, I can send upload the hexed dll and exe file, but you would need something like ZoneAlarm to block its access to SMSS, otherwise, it locks the program on top of all others and you can get to the desktop.

Yeah that sounds good i have eset smart security running and online Armor think one of those could block access to the smss.exe?

Yeah you should send me the new exe file that you messed with ..

I was messing with it and blocked the hook.dll and the msvcr71.dll still blocking my browsering can't even do alt tab to see the windows but i some how can open my start menu with ESC. But when it opens a window you can't see it so its kinda worthless.

really need that EXE

Ok. Got a little bit working here.

http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/hacked_respondus.rar

Open the hacked exe file, and then you can use the start menu, run prompt to load Internet Exploer, Fire Fox, etc. Alt Tab works. Still blocks ctrl+alt+del, but you can run a cmd windows and manually kill things with tasklist + taskkill against your targeted programs. Hope it does what you needs. I still want to work on some other things, like removing its ability to block screen capture and wireshark programs, as well as Vmware. Those shouldn't be too hard for me to knock out of there, but check the link above for a working example.

:)

I would post a screen shot, but it clears anything you copy with print-screen from the clipboard. Have to work on that..

sounds good let me know when you get the final one done.. thanks for all this

edit: Got TaskManager running, wireshark and camtasia. No more call to SMSS(which is wher eit was lockign down a lot of things) on start, so all keyboard keys and shortcuts seem to work. CTRL+ALT+DEL works, browsing, media players. Some programs will shutdown, which I don't have them installed so I don't know what won't work at the moment, but for the most part, the program is open so you can get some work done on the pc while using the LockDown program.

Updated: http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/hacked_respondus.rar

Demo video: http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/Re...sHackedDemo.avi

Im Done!

edit: Got TaskManager running, wireshark and camtasia. No more call to SMSS(which is wher eit was lockign down a lot of things) on start, so all keyboard keys and shortcuts seem to work. CTRL+ALT+DEL works, browsing, media players. Some programs will shutdown, which I don't have them installed so I don't know what won't work at the moment, but for the most part, the program is open so you can get some work done on the pc while using the LockDown program.

Im Done!

Thanks so much im going to check it out!! THANKS!

EDit Works Like a charm thanks so much

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to thank you guys, you didn't do it intentionally but your changes to this program allow it to run properly in the wine environment. This makes my life so much easier.

You are welcome...Glad people apprecieate my effort.

You are welcome...Glad people apprecieate my effort.

Hey quick question, I seem to have run into a brick wall with my school, they refuse to provide me with the institution ID number, do you know where I should look in the version they provide to me to pull it out?

Nevermind that, two things have happened I reread the readme and I installed the "official" version this somehow made the hacked one start behaving as it should. Again, thank you so very much for doing this, your efforts have allowed me to actually complete my course.

I only just read the PM asking me if I have the old patched EXE I made, I don't but I think it would have been an old version anyway. I slightly modified digip's version to stop it making the taskbar invisible and set the window to 1024x768 rather than the size of the entire screen. I haven't figured out how to make the window resizeable or moveable yet though and I'm going to bed now.

http://herecomethelizards.co.uk/LockDownHexd5_t13.exe

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all so very much for working on this lockdown thing.

I am also in the same boat of needing to get work done.

I found that this browser returns to its original (locked) state when a new browser window is opened.

ie-when you are doing assessements or quizzes, it resizes and then disallows the initialization of any apps through task mgr.

anyone run into this?

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't figured out how to make the window resizeable or moveable yet though and I'm going to bed now.http://herecomethelizards.co.uk/LockDownHexd5_t13.exe

I'm not that great with a hex editor, but here is a hint.

The program runs most of its hooks, if I remember correctly, at the time it loads TaskKeyHook.dll. Although the window appears to open in full-screen, it actually opens a regular window (with only the close button) to the size of your screen resolution. Just before it connects to the internet, it loads TaskKeyHook.dll and prevents moving of the window.

I found that with an older version of ZoneAlarm, it trips an alert in ZA that another loaded file (TaskKeyHook.dll) is connecting to the internet and asks if you want to allow/deny it. While that ZA alert is open Lockdown Browser's window can be moved, for approximately 10 seconds before LDB says there is no internet connection. That enabled me to see the desktop and some stuff like that. I found this about a year ago so they might have changed it, but if not you may be able to fix it by finding and changing that specific call.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I noticed that, too so I'm running it in a virtual machine which seems to be working alright.

Thank you all so very much for working on this lockdown thing.

I am also in the same boat of needing to get work done.

I found that this browser returns to its original (locked) state when a new browser window is opened.

ie-when you are doing assessements or quizzes, it resizes and then disallows the initialization of any apps through task mgr.

anyone run into this?

Yeah I noticed that, too so I'm running it in a virtual machine which seems to be working alright.

I tried to run it in a virtual machine and it wouldnt let me.

a prompt came up saying respondus is not allowed to run in VM.

what version are you using?

or could you upload it in a zip file?

thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I, too, have been looking at this vile little program with a disassembler.

It looks like TaskKeyHooks.dll is used for shutting out Task Manager, setting the window size to full screen, and for disabling all the policy settings and such. I think LockDown.exe is actually responsible for making its own window, however--which means that it should be the place to look for the whole "unmovable/unresizeable window" thing. My problem is I lack sufficient experience with assembler to tell where in the program that activity might be taking place. I've seen some discussion on unmovable windows on the MASM forums but I can't search for similar code(!!) so I'm stuck with the old line-by-line approach at the moment.

I may be way off base here, but as I understand it, you have to specify a window's properties (size, position, _moveability_) at the time you create the window. So, it makes sense that there must be one place that defines these for the original window (looks like DigiP's version takes care of that mostly) and another section for popups (where we are currently concerned because of the nasty quizzes that open in popup windows).

I've noticed that they've also put in code to handle multiple monitors as well. It might be nice if we could get rid of that stuff as well. Not that I can spend all holiday tinkering with LockDown.exe, but if anyone else has some suggestions on where to look for the window code I'll be happy to explore it.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
This is a patched binary from version 1.2. It will run in a virtual. Install LockDown browser, rename LockDown.exe, then paste this file in its place.

Respondus LockDown.exe

SHA256 - b8e9b30d45d8c5978e5f79ab472d248f99647aaaedf2893ac74b68eaac826ad3

MD5 - c2a1407996e9670c28c5ea57456b0a33

Brahmms

Hi, I'm a new member and I also have the same problem with blockdown browser. I tried yours but it didn't work. It came up with an error that "can't be used in virtural machine software such as, virtual PC, VMWare and parallels."

There any other way to solve it, i have final test next week :(. thank you so much

• 1 month later...

Im Done!

would you give me the same thing that the homepage is http://fhsu.synu.edu.cn/

thanks