EXTENSION OS_DETECTION

WaReD

28 minutes ago, Darren Kitchen said:

Which version of macOS is being detected as Linux?

Hi Darren

it's macos 12.5.1 Monterey...
for the moment I have made a macos/linux detection with  uname -a | grep -q "Darwin" && echo -e "Macos"  that requires opening a terminal first 😉

Apple keeps changing the behavior in macOS. I can verify that this is working as expected on my Catalina mac, but agree it's also failing on my Monterey mac. I haven't tested Big Sur or Ventura.

Thankfully the detection is all done in DuckyScript and extensions are versioned for this very reason, so we'll just need to test and update the extension. I wish it weren't such a moving target — but I'm glad we made the architectural choices to not hardcode values or bake detection into the firmware, which means we have a ton of flexibility to adapt as the environment changes.

There are at least two potential vectors for macOS detection that I can think of off the top of my head which could be added to the extension: lack of scroll lock state reply (doesn't exist on mac) or brief press vs hold of capslock (macos requires ~100ms "hold" of capslock to enable, whereas every other system treats it the same as any ordinary key).

37 minutes ago, Darren Kitchen said:

Apple keeps changing the behavior in macOS. I can verify that this is working as expected on my Catalina mac, but agree it's also failing on my Monterey mac. I haven't tested Big Sur or Ventura.

Thankfully the detection is all done in DuckyScript and extensions are versioned for this very reason, so we'll just need to test and update the extension. I wish it weren't such a moving target — but I'm glad we made the architectural choices to not hardcode values or bake detection into the firmware, which means we have a ton of flexibility to adapt as the environment changes.

There are at least two potential vectors for macOS detection that I can think of off the top of my head which could be added to the extension: lack of scroll lock state reply (doesn't exist on mac) or brief press vs hold of capslock (macos requires ~100ms "hold" of capslock to enable, whereas every other system treats it the same as any ordinary key).

I just changed the extension, it's good for now, in macos capslock_ON is all a time False.. in Linux is TRUE... I'll post the solution soon, only for Windows, Mac, and Linux detection.

I don't have an android smartphone or chromebook to test the suite

• 7 months later...

Archived