Wasn't sure where to post this...sorry...

Elaina_F

I do ask you ahead of time to please forgive me that I am fairly new at all of this as I was recently a victim of being hacked and it caused me a lot of issues of course but I became intrigued by knowing how the person ended up gaining such knowledge to do the things that they did. I wanted to ask which of these products would one recommend a person to start out with as a beginner. I have all around, knowledge of using Windows PC I guess like any other single mother would that work from home but again like I say I've became intrigued and I would love to learn how to do more to possibly prevent this from the near future or help somebody.

Ehhmmm, hire what? What is unethical about the post? My interpretation is that the individual has had a bad experience (but recovered, so no explicit need of authorities involved) and wants to learn more. The sentence containing "which of these products would one recommend" may refer to Hak5 products for someone who wants to start digging deeper into this area of expertise. Not sure though since it's rather unspecific. Anyway, it's difficult to recommend anything without any specific goal in mind. Hak5 products are great but to use things you need basic knowledge even though they have been developed and designed to be easy to use. "Easy to use" shouldn't be mixed up with "I'm a total noob and if I buy some Hak5 gear I will turn into the greatest hacker of all time in a split second". "Easy to use" should be combined with the fact that there should be some knowledge already present to be able to get the full potential out of the tools. It's just an easier way to do things, not an easier way to elevate knowledge. If you don't understand the basics the easy stuff gets complicated as soon as you get stuck and don't know how to go on further. I would say; buy Hak5 stuff if you want to, but don't expect miracles. Get the basics instead (or in parallel). To do that you really just need some more or less mediocre equipment and online information. Get some networking gear, computer(s) - virtual or "iron", learn scripting, learn software development, learn how to reverse engineer stuff, learn how to understand network traffic, learn about threats, learn about methods to handle threats and also how to organize and setup countermeasures, etc. The most important things; passion, dedication and a spirit of never giving up.

Hey Elaina 🙂

The problem is that, it's a veeery big and broad question to answer. But, if you want to learn how to defend yourself, learn network security.
How to properly setup and maintain a network, and how to secure a wifi network, how to read the event logs from your operating system, how to do backup and rollback from backup, so you can recover when problems comes your way.
And, how to lock up your operating system, how to secure it, and how to protect yourself in everyday use of it, how to keep good habits.

Yes you could buy a lot of H5 gear, and it's great gear, but not for a beginner, looking to learn, and it's not really for defence.

So, when that's done, if you want to switch to the offensive side, to get the knowledge the $$hats use, you're in for quite a ride. A short list :
Get a cheap used desktop and laptop,
Get "The Debian Administrators Handbook", read it and learn some Debian.
Learn some Bash and Python scripting, you'll need it later on.
Get and read "Kali Linux hand book", and get the iso's, switch the systems to Kali Linux, and learn it, and go through the tools.
Find the tools you like yourself / need, and throw them in your private package repo.
Do a lot of reading of security related books, search online for the more advanced stuff / newer stuff.
Try, and when you fail (you will..it's a part of it), Try harder 🙂
Take a course or two online, depending on what you like to work with.

Now, you have the basics of how attacks work, and know a bit about protecting yourself. But, I also have to warn you, the deeper down the rabbit hole you get, the more you'll find that there's no such thing as "absolute security", it's an illusion at best. There will always be a way for a clever attacker, that small hole you didn't find, and that's basically all they will ever need to get in.
Yes, it's hard work, but fun, so I hope you'll join in and have some fun, and welcome to the board 🙂

Archived