IRC AWOL? (edit: its just me...)

VaKo

Yup... but thats what happens when your n00b flatmates demand the router access codes (shared bill). They turn on that big black hole and piss all over your carefully created QOS settings... because there internet is too slow. BT clients set to 1000 connections aren't the cause... nooooooooooo, its my shit settings. Fucking retards.

Perhaps you st up a Bittorrent server, one computer and only one computer that is allowed to use bittorrent, but has a lovly web interface (passworded of course) so any one can add any torrents they want. Just a surgestion if you have the resorces (like a 500Mhz computer) and the time (Easy way: Install window, set up azaruse web interface, beter way: install linux with that bitorrent client i don't remerb the name of and that web interface for it, but of course if linux is running x then you could just use azarues and it's wen interface any way)

The bittorent client i couldn't remeber the name of was http://www.torrentflux.com/

Tried with the Azureus remote interface, but for any number of dumb reasons it didn't take off. I loved it, BT from work or uni. At the end of the day I can't force people to use it. Its one of those things where you explain, you offer a solution, you bargin, you plead and you beg, but it doesn't get threw. They know best because there doing an IT degree (which is kinda like a degree in MS Office... not got a clue about anything non MS) and i'm just an art student. So 5 bit torrent clients on one connection it is for them, and they wonder why google times out... i could cry sometimes.

I was wondering about some kinda automated ARP cache posioning thing that would allow me to manipulate traffic to an extent. So if it detected a massive slowdown on the WAN, google.co.uk would suddenly be redirected to a "please correct your torrenting abuse" page on a local apache box.

Not so easy, best option is to seceratly setup a DNS server, and setit up as there only DNS server. I'm sure it would be realy easy to change google.com to that goatse web site <removed explicit link>, then say "Well, obviusly google's been hacked" ^^, if they are the kind of people I think they are, they will run all over the place making compleate idiots of them selfs by claiming that google has been hacked. and then you can seceratly put it back at some point, but of course, you only have ot put it back on your DNS server, no client modifications needed.

Sounds like a plan, i have a win2003 box i could setup a DNS on, but since i have no idea how to make it work, thats gonna take some reading up on.

I can't belive i'm asking this question, it seems so... doubleplusgood-esq. But is there a combined traffic shaping/firewall linux affair? I know of monowall, but i've never used it. Is this something it could do? Then if my thinking is right, stick it between the linksys and the cable modem? And shape the packets with that?

I can't belive i'm asking this question, it seems so... doubleplusgood-esq. But is there a combined traffic shaping/firewall linux affair? I know of monowall, but i've never used it. Is this something it could do? Then if my thinking is right, stick it between the linksys and the cable modem? And shape the packets with that?

No idea ^^

As for the DNS server, insted of playing around with win2003 DNS I would use Posadis on a BSD box, but thats upto you.

You can also run Posadis on windows, linux and BSD it's basicly the ultimate in cross plateform DNS server, admitadly it's a bit feature less, but it works. btw, it isn't directly avalable for BSD from it's website, but it's in the ports collection, so what ever ^^

Yup... but thats what happens when your n00b flatmates demand the router access codes (shared bill). They turn on that big black hole and piss all over your carefully created QOS settings... because there internet is too slow. BT clients set to 1000 connections aren't the cause... nooooooooooo, its my shit settings. Fucking retards.

oh man im getting two new flat mates aswell.im gna have the same problem... :(

unless i find two really good people..... unlikely in 2 weeks :(