Anyone get kismet software to work?

cexshun

I did an opkg update, then opkg install kismet. Installs fine, and runs fine. But it refuses to use any of the interfaces as a datasource. The web interfaces shows nothing under datasources. If I specify at the command line, I get 

ERROR: Data source 'wlan1mon' failed to launch: Unable to find driver for 'wlan1mon'. Make sure that any required plugins are loaded, the interface is available, and any required Kismet helper packages are installed.

Tried is manually putting interfaces into monitor mode with airmon-ng, and tried it without putting them into monitor mode. Same result.

If I run something simple like 

kismet -c wlan1mon

I still get 

ERROR: Unable to find driver for 'wlan1mon'.  Make sure that any required
       plugins are loaded, the interface is available, and any required
       Kismet helper packages are installed.
ERROR: Data source 'wlan1mon' failed to launch: Unable to find driver for
       'wlan1mon'.  Make sure that any required plugins are loaded, the
       interface is available, and any required Kismet helper packages are
       installed.

But then I can access the web ui, and wlan1mon is listed and enables fine. 

I got it working thanks to Foxtrot's tip about the Capture- Linux-Wifi package. However, I only got it to consistently run for about 15-20 mins. Then it threw a sql error at me and shutdown the Web Server. (This has happened twice) Any thoughts? I was trying to run all 3 radios as sources, so, maybe it was taxing this little device too much.

During the time it was running, I did notice that the OUI lookup feature was broken in the repo's build. So I fixed that by downloading the kismet package zip on Github, I extracted the kismet_manuf.txt.gz file and SCP'd it over to the device. Then, I just edited the Kismet configuration file to point to the list. Hope that helps someone.

Can also confirm that I got a AWUS036ACM to work for 5ghz kismet monitoring.

Are you using it as a kismet remote, or running kismet standalone on the mk7? Kismet is pretty heavy to run on it standalone. Setup kismet on your laptop, and run the kismet remote capture on the mk7, and see if you can snag it as a data source on your laptop. Should be way more stable that way. 

14 minutes ago, theDingosBaby said:

Are you using it as a kismet remote, or running kismet standalone on the mk7? Kismet is pretty heavy to run on it standalone. Setup kismet on your laptop, and run the kismet remote capture on the mk7, and see if you can snag it as a data source on your laptop. Should be way more stable that way. 

I actually just wanted it to run on the mk7 standalone so it could always run without the need for a laptop, desktop or server running.

I reduced the radio usage to just 1 internal radio and my AWUS036ACM and it's been more stable for the past little bit. I'll continue testing to see if (read when) it drops out.

Similar issues. Crashes frequently when run standalone using a thumb drive for the log. Numerous crashes. Ran kismet_capture_linux_pcap to run as a remote, but it doesn't support GPS in that mode which makes it not useful for war walking/driving. 

• 1 year later...

Archived