New Mark VII, already broken it?

benspa

Hey guys! I have a huge Problem and i hope you can help me out. I just received a couple days ago my new Pineapple and after a few tests i thought i am smart and install the the tetra firmware on the mark 7 because of the richness of modules. Thats was absolutely stupid...After it looked broken it tried to do the firmware recovery which unfortunately did not work out. I tried the thing with the button for at least 5sec and it does switch its light to a steady white light, instead of solid red or blinking red and is connected over the usb c port.
So, now i was trying on my Macbook (OSx:Catalina 10.15.) to change the ethernet to 172.16.42.42 with the netmask 255.255.255.0 as described. As my macbook doesn't have LAN Port and only WIFI and Thunderbolt shows up in the network settings, I tried to set the WIFI to 172.16.42.42. No success. Turned Wifi off than the pineapple on and so on. i really dont know how to process from here, is that new thing already gone now??? Maybe something with the internet sharing?? Would be more than sad if only because of a wrong firmware that thing dont work anymore. 

Cheers and thanks lot! 

40 minutes ago, benspa said:

i thought i am smart and install the the tetra firmware on the mark 7 because of the richness of modules.

It's not a good Idea to install the previous generation Pineapple's firmware this generation of hardware.

I think that you need to do a firmware recovery.

https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360055166053-Firmware-Recovery

Well on the doc's it says.

• From your computer, configure the Ethernet interface associated with the WiFi Pineapple to have a static IP address of 172.16.42.42 with the netmask 255.255.255.0.

Thats what i already try the whole time! "Ethernet interface associated" either its my WIFI or a network adapter called "Pineapple" which is not been seen there. So, i cant connect to 172.16.42.1 over 172.16.42.42 while there is no adapter to configure which is associated to the pineapple. its just connected via usb and does not show up as a network adapter.  It tried it with the wifi adapter but that didnt worked out.

3 hours ago, benspa said:

Thats what i already try the whole time! "Ethernet interface associated" either its my WIFI or a network adapter called "Pineapple" which is not been seen there. So, i cant connect to 172.16.42.1 over 172.16.42.42 while there is no adapter to configure which is associated to the pineapple. its just connected via usb and does not show up as a network adapter.  It tried it with the wifi adapter but that didnt worked out.

I don't own the new Pineapple, in fact currently I don't own any pineapples. But i do remember a little. Firstly that was a very risky move, flashing anything other than correct firmware is asking for bricking.

Anyway, that being said your main recovery method would normally be firmware recovery. This usually forces the pineapple to use the IP 192.168.1.1, so you would need to manually set your mac ip to 192.168.1.2-254 and possibly disconnect from your router (if your routeror other device is also using 192.168.1.1) while flashing the correct firmware. That should hopefully fix the interface not showing up issue and get you back to factory fresh.

If you cannot get an interface at all (in recovery or normal boot) then im afraid it sounds bricked, and maybe official hak5 support can help. But I would prepare for the worst as it may be that the only option would be some flash over a UART which may or may not be exposed on the new Pineapple PCB and even then may not be officially supported.

EDIT - I see now the recovery IP for the MKVII is indeed 172.16.42.1 not 192.168.1.1 like the older devices.

Alright, thanks for the reply Just_a_User, that was useful information. Indeed, it also read that with the Serial access over UART port but unfortunelty i was able with a windows machine to detect the network adapter. Said that, i could change the ip adress and proceed as described for the reset. The point was Mac OSx was not able to detect the network adapter...One reason more to finally leave OSx behind me i guess.
Anyway thanks a lot, its working now again after the reset over the windows machine with the ip adress change :) 

• 1 year later...

Archived