Quick Shark jack Review

Altrez

Hello Everyone,

I got my Shark Jack in yesterday and used it for around 2 hours. It worked fine using Nmap to scan a local subnet when plunged into a switch port. The battery life is around 12 minutes and it gets very hot when charging. I noticed it would crash when the battery got low if I had it plugged in a jack looking around in arming mode. To fix that I simply plugged in a usb c cable and could stay in as long as I wanted.

One thing I really like is the LED indicator lights making the jack glow different colors based on the current actions, its a really neat and effective feature. I also setup a usb network card on my Windows 10 workstation so I could easily plug in the Shark to look at my scans without having to unplug my network connection and that works great. 

It would be nice if we could add a few more tools to the Shark like for instance macchanger would be a killer app on the Shark Jack. I was going to try to get it on the internet today to see if I could add a few things to the Open-WRT build that's on it:

root@shark:/etc# cat os-release
NAME="OpenWrt"
VERSION="18.06-SNAPSHOT"
ID="openwrt"
ID_LIKE="lede openwrt"
PRETTY_NAME="OpenWrt 18.06-SNAPSHOT"
VERSION_ID="18.06-snapshot"

The Shark Jack is a cool new gadget that you should consider adding to your pen-test tool bag, I feel like it can only get better moving forward and with a few more good tools added to the Shark Jack it can really be a goto first pass recon security tool.

I am getting close to adding some apps. 

We have the CPU info:

root@shark:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : MediaTek MT7628AN ver:1 eco:2
machine                 : Hak5 Shark Jack
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 24KEc V5.5

Here is the link to the builds:

http://archive.openwrt.org/releases/packages-18.06/

Still can not get anything to run so any help would be great 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

In development of the Shark Jack, I've gotten used to using the Plunder Bug as a simple switch. This is just an easy configuration for me, since they're two small devices I can toss in my bag for those coding nights at the GF's place. For me it beats bringing a USB Ethernet adapter and doing Internet Connection Sharing and a bunch of iptables-fu when her WiFi sucks anyway. 

I just posted an article on the Plunder Bug knowledge base on how to do this, as well as a payload which makes this easy.

The payload - ssh-ip-blinker - just enables the SSH server and blinks out the last octet of the IP address -- this way you don't have to nmap your girlfriends network and cause her old roku to freeze up while it's playing garbage netflix shows (everybody wins). Now, with Internet access, you can easily install packages via opkg and test/develop payloads to your heart's content.

Plunder Bug article: https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360036099014
Shark Jack payload: https://github.com/hak5/sharkjack-payloads/blob/master/payloads/library/util/ssh-ip-blinker/payload.sh

BTW this'll work on a regular LAN switch too – you don't need a Plunder Bug unless you want your girlfriend to think you look really cool ;^) 

plunderbug-switch-diagram.png

• 1 month later...

yea i noticed that as well. I just got the shark jack today. For some reason i let it charge all the way and the battery was hot however, i plugged it in twice to run the payloads and the sharkjack died on me completely. I have literally almost every tool from the site and the shark jack looked promising for a great recon tool of a network. I would say make the device modifiable to where the batteries can be swapped out incase you got a bad battery and sell the batteries on the site as well. Maybe its a bad battery batch. Either way i do like how the tool is made. I normally collect the tools as if they were highly collectibles. I'm going to keep playing with this ting to try and get it to work right. Lets see how another charge does. 

• 2 months later...

I am also running into issues with battery life. I get only 3-5 minutes of battery life. Unfortunately, this makes the device unreliable for real world pentesting.  The unit gets quite hot when plugged in which was noted by other users. I suspect that there are battery problems with these units. This could be a great little device if the battery problems can be resolved.  

• 3 months later...

It shouldn't take but 5 or 6 minutes to fully charge - as indicated by a solid blue LED. See the getting started guide at https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360034667173-Shark-Jack-Basics and be sure to read the important safety information at https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360034129974-Important-Safety-Information-and-Warnings

Archived