Using compact flash as a swap drive?

VaKo

My laptop has a compact flash drive in it, which got me thinking.

Could you use a CF card, of about 1-2GB for a swap drive? I know it wouldn't last that long, but would it be faster than my regular HD? Not sure i want to test this until i can afford another CF card or two. But its solid state and all...

Here's a performance sheet of various CF memory types and brands.

Basically, performancewise they SUCK. Best they found was 12 MB/s for READING. Any decent harddisk will do TWICE that for writing, and 5-6 times that for reading. Even more if you go high-end.

So, yes you can, but will it be fast? No, not really.

You should try to play with one of these HyperDrives.

It's basically a DIMM bank with a battery backup to last you a while in case of power failure, and an IDE interface. The only bottleneck here will be the transferrate of the IDE interface. Well, and capacity...

Ye, thoughs are realy cool, although they only have about 8GB of space, but i think the speed makes up for that, thats enough to put any linux distro on, i belive some one installed FreeBSD on to one and it loaded in 4 seconds :| Here is a video of the HyperDrives biggest (and only?) rivale the I-RAM drive loading windows.