install problems

Dannon

My friend just gave me his computer to work on. It had windows xp home on it. It was loaded with viruses and spyware. He didn't have any CDs with it, so I learned the hard way that windows CDs only work with their own Product Keys.

I got his product key with Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder, then used my XP home CD to do a repair install but got stuck at the Product Key place. There is no way to go back from there. After trying stuff out I had to reboot. Every time it booted up it came back to the install screen and wanted the CD. So I had to do a format. Now when I boot it up it comes up with:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER..

It does not matter what cd i put in it. I've tried win 95 up to xp pro. I have the correct boot order in the BIOS.

Do I need to format it again some other way? I formated it with a floppy boot disk and then took the HD out and put it in my XP box and formatted it again.

Please no comments on how I should put Linux on it, they want to use windows...

[edit]

I misread your post sorry, is it that nothing will boot from the CD/DVD drive at all? Have you tried a linux LiveCD? Just to test that it can actually still boot?

[/edit]

Put in the XP disc again (if its the non-sp2 version, download a version with SP2 preloaded... its legal if you only use the XP licence the own already), do a new install. When it asks you where you want to put the OS, delete the partition, recreate it and then allow XP to reinstall on the recreated partition. Follow the install threw to the end, inputting the correct product key when asked. Don't reboot until windows asks you to.

If its still saying "DISK BOOT FAILURE etc" after that i'd try putting the disk in another XP machine and doing a full disk check, might be the HD itself is problamatic.

What was the origonal issue with the computer? Was there problems booting before or was it just full of gunk?

It was mostly full of virus and spyware. The disks I have are non-sp2. Where can I download a version with SP2? The disk I have is for my XP home, thats where I got in trouble trying to use my CD with their KEY.

I took the HD out already and put it in my machine, so I know it works.

sorry but i have too :P LINUX!

/me waves fist and splutters rage ;-)

You can grab a torrent (google it) or use nLite (again, google it) to make one yourself using your XP disc. Its gray area legal, as in MS probally won't like you doing it but its not gonna get you jail time.

The product key is probally the bulk installer one the PC maker used when it was built. Which if its a pre-SP2 one has probally been pirated up the wazoo and back by now.

By law they should have provided the key to the windows license they paid for with the computer. Which is in the documentation somewhere. Without a working key, your not going to be able to install windows on the box. But they key isn't tied to the disc itself, so as long as it accepts it, windows will boot. Windows update does have limited functionality with a compromised key.

Also, you sure you copied it down correctly? Try variations based on your hand wrighting?

I think the OEM versions (the ones that come from HP et all with your box) might be tied to specific BIOS/Mobo types (anyone want to confirm?), which is only a problem if you change the mobo.

The license of XP that MS issues is not tied to a particular CD, but if your XP disc came from a OEM providor they may have fucked with it. If that is the case, downloading a XP ISO (home, not pro..) will bypass this, and allow you to install XP with your mates key.

If not just have them go threw the piles of paperwork that came with the machine. Somewhere in there is gonna be the legal XP key they paid for. Or call MS for a new key, which I *think* is around $10 or local. Sucks, i know... but its a solution.

"I have the correct boot order in the BIOS."

What exacly is this "correct" boot order?

Is it:

1st: Floppy

2nd: Hard Disk

3rd: USB Flash memory

4th: network

? :wink:

how old is this machine ?

i'd say forget the floppy and do the following :

1st: CD/DVD

2nd: Hard Disk

3rd: USB Flash memory <- why ? it'll only do this and the following when it cant find HD .... if u want to b able to boot it put it infront of the HD and unplugg it when u don't ..... (or press esc in time)

4th: network <- why ? it'll only do this and the following when it cant find HD ....

sorry but i have too :P LINUX!

/me waves fist and splutters rage ;-)

You can grab a torrent (google it) or use nLite (again, google it) to make one yourself using your XP disc. Its gray area legal, as in MS probally won't like you doing it but its not gonna get you jail time.

actually MS don't care they even put some guides up on theire website on how to slipstream XP , but here's a guide from another place on the web :

ah i'm to lazy to put it all in here, here's a link : http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm