Noob idea based on the LED lamp

thedonutman

I was watching the episode with the LED lamp with the photoresistor.

I was wondering, would it be possible to put it in a keyboard?

Maybe more than 1 circuit. So parts of your keyboard light up when you move your hand over it, rather than lighting up when your not using those keys.

Yeah, I guess there's no reason this wouldn't be possible, I think it'd probably get annoying though.

What you could do is have the sensor somewhere that your hands aren't going to cover it while typing and you could have a keyboard that's back lit at night and not backlit during the day.

I like the sound of the backlit one, I was thinking of using (forgive me if my electronics is rough, not used what I learnt in school in a while, so even if what I say may not work, thats because I've not researched into what Im doing :P) a light sensor and a capacitor and then as the light to the keyboard dims out, (getting darker) then the lights on the keyboard would light up.

My only problem with designing this, is my monitors would probably have a huge effect on the light that is sensed, as my keyboard is right infront of my monitor.

Also I think this would look ace, if you could backlight every key and have transparent keys.

PJ

No, you're right, that's entirely possible. You can alter the sensitivity of your circuit so that when it's dark enough the monitors don't affect it. Sounds an interesting idea, I'd be interested in seeing the results if you go for it. :)

Well, I just got a new zboard the other week, so I might take my first keyboard I got, (a nice black one it was) and mod that, I might have to walk to maplins during my lunch break tomorrow and get some LEDs, I'm sure they are expensive there aswell :( ah well, I will make a shopping list later.

Hey, I might get to use my dremel I got for xmas whilst mounting the LEDs etc :D.

PJ

not really, you can have completely transparent keys, and then either have,

A) a black (or any colour for that matter) character on the key.

or no character at all, I know I never look at my keyboard when I use it, so no charcters would be fine for me :)

I also went to maplins today, stocked up on their cheap 17p LEDs ^_^

PJ

not really, you can have completely transparent keys, and then either have,

A) a black (or any colour for that matter) character on the key.

or no character at all, I know I never look at my keyboard when I use it, so no charcters would be fine for me :)

I also went to maplins today, stocked up on their cheap 17p LEDs ^_^

PJ

I wonder if you can buy the transparent keys anywhere?

I have a logitech G15 which has a button to change the backlight on all of the keys from off -> low -> high. It would be awesome to not have to push the button when it gets dark. I will submit my G15 to Wess and the Hak.5 Mod department if this can be done.