Pineapple Nano: PineAP won't start

caeos

6 hours ago, caeos said:

PineAP Daemon keeps disabling itself and refuses to turn on. I've tried it on both Linux and Windows 10, no difference there. Any suggestions?

I had this a long time ago on an early firmware upgrade. Solved it with a firmware recovery.

https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010471774-Firmware-Recovery

11 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

I had this a long time ago on an early firmware upgrade. Solved it with a firmware recovery.

https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/articles/360010471774-Firmware-Recovery

Begin holding the RESET button on the device.

With the RESET button held, power on the device.

Continue holding the RESET button for 10 seconds, then release.

I do not understand, i'm supposed to literally hold this tiny button for almost 15 seconds+ straight and then while doing that plug it in? Wtf?

7 minutes ago, caeos said:

I do not understand, i'm supposed to literally hold this tiny button for almost 15 seconds+ straight and then while doing that plug it in? Wtf?

Yes, it works I have done it many, many times. You can use the Y lead that came with it if it makes things easier for you.

2 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

Yes, it works I have done it many, many times. You can use the Y lead that came with it if it makes things easier for you.

Now in the middle of the firmware recovery, it won't connect to 192.168.1.1 anymore, it keeps giving me a notification that my network is disconnected (seems to be referring to the pineapple as ethernet) and I honestly don't know what's going on.

3 minutes ago, caeos said:

it won't connect to 192.168.1.1 anymore

After a successful upload of firmware and flash it will reboot and return to the IP 172.16.42.1.

Also if your home router is using the IP 192.168.1.1 they will clash so you should disconnect from that while performing the firmware recovery.

3 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

After a successful upload of firmware and flash it will reboot and return to the IP 172.16.42.1.

It's not connecting at all now. I've replugged in the nano to check if it would work after that, nothing.

1 minute ago, caeos said:

It's not connecting at all now. I've replugged in the nano to check if it would work after that, nothing.

Well hopefully you didn't unplug it while it was flashing the factory firmware otherwise you could have bricked it. Hopefully you followed each instruction of the guide one by one successfully.

Try again with the firmware recovery process, read it first. Read it again to be sure. Then take it slowly.

23 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

Well hopefully you didn't unplug it while it was flashing the factory firmware otherwise you could have bricked it. Hopefully you followed each instruction of the guide one by one successfully.

Try again with the firmware recovery process, read it first. Read it again to be sure. Then take it slowly.

Okay so I waited before trying to go to the pineapple page after I did the firmware recovery process and it's stuck on "The Wi-Fi Pineapple is still booting" and i've been at this page for a bit.

What should I do? I can't ssh into it, its refusing my connection.

16 minutes ago, caeos said:

after I did the firmware recovery process and it's stuck on "The Wi-Fi Pineapple is still booting" and i've been at this page for a bit

Did you leave that page/tab open while doing the recovery? i.e. could it be left over from before the recovery process or is it a new tab from after the recovery process?

Also, make sure it has adequate power source and make sure you flash the factory version of the firmware and not an upgrade version of the firmware.

https://downloads.hak5.org/api/devices/wifipineapplenano/firmwares/recovery

5 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

Did you leave that page/tab open while doing the recovery? i.e. could it be left over from before the recovery process or is it a new tab from after the recovery process?

It was a new tab, and I closed the new tab that said it wouldn't affect anything. What should I do? Should I unplug and plug the nano back in or would I risk bricking it? Considering it might still be running in the background

2 minutes ago, caeos said:

Considering it might still be running in the background

The still booting stage is reasonably quick only a few mins. So should have completed by now really. If it hasn't then yes I would unplug and re-plug to see how it goes.

How are you powering it? Try to make sure you give it enough power so have both USB of the Y lead plugged into ports etc.

48 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

The still booting stage is reasonably quick only a few mins. So should have completed by now really. If it hasn't then yes I would unplug and re-plug to see how it goes.

How are you powering it? Try to make sure you give it enough power so have both USB of the Y lead plugged into ports etc.

Just had to replug it in, everything is working great now. Thank you, I appreciate the help.

Also, was wondering what use an extra wifi dongle would have with the nano? I have an Alfa AWUS036NH

17 minutes ago, caeos said:

Just had to replug it in, everything is working great now. Thank you, I appreciate the help.

Also, was wondering what use an extra wifi dongle would have with the nano? I have an Alfa AWUS036NH

Glad you got it working. You can never have enough Wi-Fi dongles 🙂 Client mode for internet access is probably most used I would guess.

But its also another interface for sniffing/dumping/monitoring/de-authing etc. if you need.

Archived