Hosting a VPN server for the PS

Dave-ee Jones

So I want to setup a VPN server for the Packet Squirrel, and I'm debating where I should host it. I would prefer to stay away from VPS hosters as I'm probably not going to use it enough to get my money's worth out of it. One of those 'cool. I finished it. Now I know how to do it. What's next..' things.

So, I've got 2 main options I can do:

• Host it on a PC at home/work and leave it on whenever I wish to use it
  • Host it on a laptop and use a mobile hotspot for whenever I wish to use it (mobile VPN - pun intended)

Both have their pluses and minuses. I'm not sure how the PS works if it loses connection to the VPN. If the VPN comes back up does it automatically join it, for example. Even if I programmed it to constantly look for the VPN if it's not up how can I be sure it'll work? Also, how much data would it use to host a VPN server for the Packet Squirrel? I know it depends on what is downloaded/uploaded over it, but still, if it's just webpages and script files it shouldn't be too bad, right?

So, ideally, setting up a VM with Kali or something on it at home or work would be good.

Why am I thinking out loud? Because I want some input! What do you guys think would be best? What would you recommend?

The reason I want to have a VPN server up is so I can host a webserver on the Packet Squirrel and remotely access it for remote execution and management. So a leave-it-somewhere-and-go-home-and-remotely-execute-commands-and-stuff situation, ideally.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:18 PM, elkentaro said:

Couldn't you just use any of the VPS free-tier offers? And just ssh-relay to a box at home?

then again, digital ocean's smallest droplet is $5/month and might save you the hassle.

Maybe. There aren't many legitimate free VPS hosters out there. Many are only for limited time (7 days or so).

• 1 month later...

Just my 2cents, i run PFSense as my home firewall and run openvpn .. Also PFS will update my dynamic DNS name , so the client ovpn file contains the dynamic NAME .. I have been running this for a couple years now, been using with my LanTurtle deployed to a remote network. 

On 1/6/2018 at 2:35 AM, FloridaTech said:

Just my 2cents, i run PFSense as my home firewall and run openvpn .. Also PFS will update my dynamic DNS name , so the client ovpn file contains the dynamic NAME .. I have been running this for a couple years now, been using with my LanTurtle deployed to a remote network. 

Yep, that would be ideal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2018 at 10:35 AM, FloridaTech said:

That's how I do it too.

Archived