airodump-ng 5ghz

b0N3z

So I have an alfa awus05hnn v2 and it supports 5ghz monitor mode.  So I have tryed "airodump-ng --band a wlan0mon" and its really hit and miss if it even returns a result.  Then it also gets shady on 2.4ghz.  I have googled the and look at the help menus.  I have not tried to set the channel manually as I cant get it to read both my routers which are on different channels. 

802.11a can be picked up, but most people today, are using 802.11N, which works on 2.4 and 5ghz. Also a lot of newer devices use 802.11AC as well, which also works in the 5ghz range(and a few others).

If you set the channel to a single channel, you'll have better results. Pass the -c(if I recall) with the channel number you want instead of roaming/hopping between channels. i don't know that aircrack works well with 802.11N and AC at all though. I've never been able to capture any 802.11N traffic with my wireless card, as I have only tried in aircrack. There are probably other programs that can capture these ranges, but I've not looked really.

802.11N works on the normal 1-14 channels when on 2.4ghz, but in the 30s - hundreds and up when on the 5ghz for N and AC.

Edited by digip