No AP & Client scan mode in Recon

GiraMan

Hey folks, so I got the new Pineapple Tetra delivered to me today, I got it all hooked up, firmware installed, and internet set up. Then I wanted to try out the recon mode and identify both access points as well as their associated clients in the vicinity; however, the only option I got is to run it in a mode which only discovers the access points, but no clients. Am I doing something wrong?

11 minutes ago, GiraMan said:

Hey folks, so I got the new Pineapple Tetra delivered to me today, I got it all hooked up, firmware installed, and internet set up. Then I wanted to try out the recon mode and identify both access points as well as their associated clients in the vicinity; however, the only option I got is to run it in a mode which only discovers the access points, but no clients. Am I doing something wrong?

The option was merged recently - if clients are detected, they will be down beneath each access point.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Sebkinne, how would you recommend I run the recon scan? It seems to be detecting clients in 30 seconds and up but not on the 15 second scan. I also feel like it's doing better when either the 2.4 or the 5.0 are used, but not both at the same time. Are there any best practices you would recommend?

4 hours ago, GiraMan said:

Thanks Sebkinne, how would you recommend I run the recon scan? It seems to be detecting clients in 30 seconds and up but not on the 15 second scan. I also feel like it's doing better when either the 2.4 or the 5.0 are used, but not both at the same time. Are there any best practices you would recommend?

Client devices that are idle or not currently generating a lot of traffic will "chirp" a lot less than active devices. Because scanning hops across all specified channels in the given amount of time, it is possible to miss said chirps.

Of course, by increasing the scan time, you will increase the frames read on each channel, and therefore be able to discover devices that are less chatty. Scanning both 2.4 and 5Ghz in the same amount of time (say 15 seconds) means you have to scan a LOT more channels in an already small timeframe.

We considered forcing 30 seconds for 2.4 and 5Ghz scans, but decided against it, as in a target rich environment even 15 seconds got a lot of results.