Networking Question

Rocold

I have cable internet and a wireless router which is wired to my main computer(1). I have another computer(2) that is connected wirelessly in another room. I can connect another computer(3) to computer(2). My problem is I want computer(3) to be connected to the network ,which it is, because I have shared files on computer(1) that I want to be able to access, but I don't want computer(3) to be able to access the internet..

So my question is can you have a computer that is hooked up to the network but not allowed to reach the internet...

How is computer #3 connected to computer #2?? Are they connected with a crossover cable with computer #2 bridging the connections??

In any case, you could put a firewall on computer #3 that would drop all traffic except that going to your local network (e.g. 192.168.x.x).

Ben

Either block computer (3) at your router by i.p. or MAC adddress, or simply don't set a gateway address on computer (3). It will still be able to see the computers on the network, but will not be able to get online.

Now, the gateway trick only works if the person using computer (3) doesn't know what the gateway address is, and has a burning desire to get ON the internet. :wink:

Either block computer (3) at your router by i.p. or MAC adddress, or simply don't set a gateway address on computer (3). It will still be able to see the computers on the network, but will not be able to get online.

Now, the gateway trick only works if the person using computer (3) doesn't know what the gateway address is, and has a burning desire to get ON the internet. :wink:

Depending on your router you could look at blocking port 80/443 from said computer (3) and not block it for everyone else.

That way they could still get email (SMTP 25) and other services just not web.

If its to stop person on computer 3 from going to pron sites there are better filters out there now.

I was searching around and went to my Wireless Network Connection Properties, then the Settings of the Internet Connection Sharing. Is there anything in there I can change to do what I want it too?

wac5ma.png

I can't test this because computer(3) has a fried motherboard. I'm in the process of building a new computer(3).

I was searching around and went to my Wireless Network Connection Properties, then the Settings of the Internet Connection Sharing. Is there anything in there I can change to do what I want it too?

I can't test this because computer(3) has a fried motherboard. I'm in the process of building a new computer(3).

I am pretty sure that ICS has an implicit deny if you dont explicitly allow the port.

But if you dont open up proper ports you wont be able to get some programs to work.