VM

tshing02

To capture such an image requires the source to be a VM itself - it's the only way I can see you take a snapshot of both the disk and the memory. Hell, it's what VMWare uses to move a running VM from host to host while skipping nigh-on a beat. Similarly, it's to a large degree what the suspend/resume cycle on VMs do.

So in summary, yes, that should be possible, so long as your source is a VM.

Why do you ask?

Is it possible to create a vm to include current snapshot of system, memory and running programs? If not would it be possible to use vm load what you want and then put it to sleep. upon restarting the vm it would load your apps, like windows does when you wake it up?

If you snapshot a machine; you snapshot as it is; with running programs / memory etc. Its literally a stap in time. the moment the snapshot closes the machine continues to live.

Switching it off after the snapshot does not change the snapshot; it just powers down the machine.

But there is also the SUSPEND function

Select the VM; press ctrl-Z to suspend it.

That will hold everything as it is and hold the the machine.

As Cooper said : if you state your purpose / meaning its easier to answer your question

You can do a physical to virtual conversion, but it won't capture the memory or what's running. I've actually done this over a vpn to a different state. Had a CFO that upper management suspected of shady things. Luckily the laptop in question was left running on his desk, so I did a vmware p2v to their local file server first, then transfered it to our local server.

You can do a physical to virtual conversion, but it won't capture the memory or what's running. I've actually done this over a vpn to a different state. Had a CFO that upper management suspected of shady things. Luckily the laptop in question was left running on his desk, so I did a vmware p2v to their local file server first, then transfered it to our local server.

And people wonder why I'm not too keen on my laptop being required to join the domain (aside from the simple fact that I have no idea how a Linux machine is supposed to achieve this feat, but I'll let them work this out).

Indeed, this wont capure memory state and systemstate. It will inject a layer between the operating system and the hardware; replace the underlying hardware with the hypervisor and then export that to a virtual clone. If you wrap it up neatly the original wont even be touched and remain running as it is.

one of the first stepts into this is the 'leverage' of the p2v on a bootlevel.

At that moment the memory is not even loaded and has no apps running.

And people wonder why I'm not too keen on my laptop being required to join the domain (aside from the simple fact that I have no idea how a Linux machine is supposed to achieve this feat, but I'll let them work this out).

The 'remote-p2v' option in the scenario Barry99705 states is not possible unless they have root access to your laptop and use this procedure :

http://www.vladan.fr/how-to-p2v-linux-into-vmware-esx-server/

other then that; the only solution would be to boot your laptop with the cd/dvd and then connect it to the Virtual Center Server. Quite impossible without you noticing.

---

I think the OP's question is answered using the 'suspend' function

Edited by Dice

Indeed, this wont capure memory state and systemstate. It will inject a layer between the operating system and the hardware; replace the underlying hardware with the hypervisor and then export that to a virtual clone. If you wrap it up neatly the original wont even be touched and remain running as it is.

one of the first stepts into this is the 'leverage' of the p2v on a bootlevel.

At that moment the memory is not even loaded and has no apps running.

The 'remote-p2v' option in the scenario Barry99705 states is not possible unless they have root access to your laptop and use this procedure :

http://www.vladan.fr/how-to-p2v-linux-into-vmware-esx-server/

other then that; the only solution would be to boot your laptop with the cd/dvd and then connect it to the Virtual Center Server. Quite impossible without you noticing.

---

I think the OP's question is answered using the 'suspend' function

Hmm, I've never tried to virtualize a suspended machine. I don't think you can. I suppose you could clone the drive and try to boot it into a vm with the same(mostly) hardware as the target.

Ty for all your responses. The purpose of this is to capture a running program and use it upon reboot. I have a game bot written in Chinese. When it starts is goes to a server that unlocks the app. The app runs on a timer. When the time runs out it closes. Daily use is about 20 mins. It allows you 3 days of use every 30 days for free. 72 hours goes a long way at that rate. Currently I have a spare machine on a ups backup that i put to sleep. . I would gladly pay for this, the price is 2k yen, 20 bucks. However I have no way to get permission from the ministry of china to verify my age, and the payment methods are not internationally friendly.

That was my first solution, however looking for a more practical one. Was thinking about a virtual machine on a thumb drive. Making it plug and play basically wherever i want. A VM to me for windows is a new experience. I do this with linux, but wasn't sure if you could put a win7 vm environment to sleep. I'm in-between my 30 days currently so my first question was about a snapshot and loading that but thinking that would only work on same machine.

Ty for all your responses. The purpose of this is to capture a running program and use it upon reboot. I have a game bot written in Chinese. When it starts is goes to a server that unlocks the app. The app runs on a timer. When the time runs out it closes. Daily use is about 20 mins. It allows you 3 days of use every 30 days for free. 72 hours goes a long way at that rate. Currently I have a spare machine on a ups backup that i put to sleep. . I would gladly pay for this, the price is 2k yen, 20 bucks. However I have no way to get permission from the ministry of china to verify my age, and the payment methods are not internationally friendly.

That was my first solution, however looking for a more practical one. Was thinking about a virtual machine on a thumb drive. Making it plug and play basically wherever i want. A VM to me for windows is a new experience. I do this with linux, but wasn't sure if you could put a win7 vm environment to sleep. I'm in-between my 30 days currently so my first question was about a snapshot and loading that but thinking that would only work on same machine.

A disclaimer on my side; i have based my advise on a virtual machine in VmWare.

even the basic computer with 6 Gb ; a small drive and a 64bits processor would be enough to run a basic ESX server (and thats legally: PM me if you need info)

Running the vm on that is quite easy and you have the suspend function on the vpxclient .