Getting Wireless AC to work on the Yoga 2 11"

IrishFavor

I have a Lenovo yoga 2 11" laptop (the one that was plagued with wireless issues) and have since been through a few wireless cards. Firstly i was able to get the original wireless card (RTL8723U) to work in both Ubuntu, and Kali by using rfkill and a few other comands (http://billauer.co.il/blog/2014/08/linux-ubuntu-yoga-hardware-blocked-wireless-lan/) to keep the Lenovo wireless utility from running and go the fix to run persistently at startup. I then switched to the RTL8187L and that worked without issue in Windows 8.1 (x64), Ubuntu, Kali.

Recently i have attempted to upgrade my wireless card to the (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Plus Bluetooth) and i receive an error saying "Unauthorized. Wireless network card is plugged in. Power off and remove it" After some research it appears that the problem exists because the card is not white-listed in the BIOS. The reason i was upgrading to this card is because after some research it appears that it supports monitor and injection modes under Kali and Ubuntu if anyone knows of another wireless AC card that supports both i would be willing to try that.

As far as troubleshooting i have scoured the internet and it appear that the BIOS is locked however someone has been able to unlock it on v1.05 and v1.09 and have sent a request to (https://www.bios-mods.com/) to have the white-list removed for the BIOS on the yoga 2 13". however it appears that it hasn't been removed yet, not sure if they have the same BIOS. I do know that the internals do differ slightly but they both come with the same stock wireless card. I have Updated my BIOS to latest version (AAEC94WW) and that has given me the option to enable and disable secure boot. Toggling the option did not resolve the issue, however when i disable the wireless option on the configuration screen the machine boots fine to Kali and Ubuntu, Bluetooth is operational however wireless is disabled. If i boot to windows 8 Bluetooth is also disabled but if i restart the service Bluetooth works.. Any insight or recommendations are greatly appriciated, thank you in advance for any assistance .

TL;DR: Lenovo yoga 2 11" wireless AC (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Plus Bluetooth) Unauthorized Error.

It sounds like an insane amount of effort to get some packet sniffing going on. I mean, replacing the damned BIOS on your laptop with something a crafty critter in Vietnam (literally) put together in his mom's basement is, to put it mildly, risky behavior.

My advice to you would be to just put back the original wifi adapter and get a good Alfa card which you connect via USB. A *LOT* less hassle.

Indeed it is an insane amount of effort, however i should just replace the computer. I just liked the form factor the fact that i could use it as a tablet as well, the unfortunate thing is is that it only has 2 USB ports and most of the time those are taken. Or sometimes i need the ability to connect to multiple networks and having it built in was more convenient and this also gave me Bluetooth connectivity. I will look at an external antenna anyways, however i have not found one based on the same chip-set as the Wireless-AC 7260, and my research has yielded that most of them don't support both monitor and injection. I still have hopes that there's a way to get this working internally however in the meantime any recommendations on an external card that uses AC and supports both monitor and injection?

No idea on AC cards but the problem of lacking USB ports is easily solved with a USB hub. Of course having it built-in is easier/cleaner/more convenient, but if you have to go this much all out to get it I'd say it's not worth it. Whenever something breaks you'll never know if it's the BIOS or something else. It's like having a virus on your PC - you won't be able to trust the device until you built it up from scratch.

Removable antenna is a big deal with wifi attacks. Your built in device might have a standard 5dbi dipole antenna...

A tablet that supports kali and aircrack out of the box is what you should look for. A usb port is also Huge for the alfa card with directional antennas...

True but the problem with a USB hub is most require external power if your using more then 1 usb powered device... well that used to be the case at least not sure with usb 3.0 and 3.1, yea i have 3 Alfa RTL8187L and a few antennas 5dbi, 9dbi both dipole, and a 18dbi yagi. Now if the USB Hub needs to be powered i can use something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Anker-20000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Portable-Notebooks/dp/B00B45EOYS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1444411327&sr=8-4&keywords=laptop+external+battery)and it would still be portable. I was looking for something that used AC cause sometimes i need to connect to a 2nd network while using wierless to scann networks, I also have a usb to Ethernet adapter but if my USB ports are taken then im SOL. Basically if i had a 3rd usb i would be fine, guess its the waiting game till i get another laptop or the AC standard becomes more prevalent.

My setup currently is

10919155_508831459255239_1711862338_n.jp

so i guess with the addition of a usb hub and external battery pack to power the hub and 5 watt amp i could add a 2nd card.

Edited by IrishFavor

How do you get the amp to not burn a hole in your screen?

Also

and the results weren't that great. Be sure to also watch the last minute or so as he looked closer into the noise produced by those amplifiers.

I actually have to say that the heat dissipation is quite decent on it, now it does get extremely warm to the touch but nothing that i would be afraid of putting on my machine. it also has a tiny bit if insulation from the machine as i have Velcro on the back to keep it affixed to the screen. Granted i suppose it all depends on how long you run it for. I am using for receiving signals mostly rather than broadcast however i also have a strong antenna that i am running with it. I have not noticed any problems with dropped packets or anything. However i have noticed a severe increase in range and amount of hotspots detected, i can get approximately 5 blocks away approx. 0.3-0.4 miles. Also an increase of available hotspots by about 60%, as far as noise i have to admin i have not even looked into it as i have not had any problems with it. However that is something to take into account when auditing networks. I suppose for my use case it is sufficient however i wonder what improvements can be made.

Side note: I have to say that Andrew knows his stuff, i was looking at building a PCB Bi-quad Yagi

(

)

as i need to setup a point to point array out in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by IrishFavor

i have printed out his template for this antenna... but have not yet come up with a proto type... im going to cut open a old dipole antenna and solder it to the driven element... the construction must be exact in every measurement and location of each element...

with only having access to hand tools, and some power saws... i dont think i can do it...

i want to purchase one from him, but he has not responded to my request.

i have made a post around here with building instructions for a parabola, i think its possible to outperform the biquad yagi with a simple parabola but wont be as compact.